Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think people are worse drivers than they used to be?

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

No, I don't think they're worse and I don't think they're better. Even before people were calling and texting while they drove, they were doing their makeup, shaving, eating, reading maps, reading newspapers, etc. And they still do - I've seen people doing every one of those things on my commute to and from work.

Hi ChynnaBlue...IOW, not only are drivers doing makeup, shaving, eating, reading, etc, they're also calling and texting.  They're probably not necessarily better or worse drivers, but they (we) are more distracted than ever before.  Hope you are well!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They were distracted long ago.  So many drivers were busy lighting and smoking cigarettes, and often the ash would drop and burn them.

Years ago, rocking out to the radio was distracting.

And IMO the biggest threat of all was that before MADD and its offshoots, drunk drivers were common and nothing was done to stop them.  We'd hear about a mother and her two children killed in a car accident by another driver, and people would say, oh, well, he was drunk.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

No I don't. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I think people are terrible drivers.

Just getting through the parking lot at the grocery store or mall is like navigating through a mine field.

Honored Contributor

N7: ITA. I'm sure the second the wheel was invented, some caveman took a swig of fermented wine & tried to ride that wheel...while crashing in the bushes!

Yes, alcohol seems to be the common denominator of many, many vehicular accidents. Many, on these boards, will say Texting is the bain of our Existence, but is was/is/will be alcohol.
Honored Contributor

I think that drivers get worse all the time. There are many factors at play. Companies who require their staff who are out on the road to be at their constant Beck and call, so the drivers have to be answering e mails and texts while they drive if they want to keep their job, the tremendous amount of people who are distracted by music, screaming children,phones,texts,animals ,passengers etc.There are people who take for granted their driving ability, so they don't pay attention as they should.And ,of course,those who are impaired by drugs and alcohol.Every one is equally dangerous. And then there are factors like so many very young and inexperienced drivers having cars now a days. It truly is very frightening out there.my parents were killed by an impaired driver at 6AM, he had been drinking and doing drugs all night.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

They were distracted long ago.  So many drivers were busy lighting and smoking cigarettes, and often the ash would drop and burn them.

Years ago, rocking out to the radio was distracting.

And IMO the biggest threat of all was that before MADD and its offshoots, drunk drivers were common and nothing was done to stop them.  We'd hear about a mother and her two children killed in a car accident by another driver, and people would say, oh, well, he was drunk.

in Wisconsin, they stil do. 

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

No, I don't think they're worse and I don't think they're better. Even before people were calling and texting while they drove, they were doing their makeup, shaving, eating, reading maps, reading newspapers, etc. And they still do - I've seen people doing every one of those things on my commute to and from work.

Hi ChynnaBlue...IOW, not only are drivers doing makeup, shaving, eating, reading, etc, they're also calling and texting.  They're probably not necessarily better or worse drivers, but they (we) are more distracted than ever before.  Hope you are well!

They're generally not doing all those things at once, though, so the level of distraction is really the same whether they are shaving or talking on the phone. 

Honored Contributor

Google is developing a self-driving car, so people will work themselves out of a job if their driving skills continue to decline.  The Google car has been in fourteen accidents since it was launched in 2009, and none of them were its fault.  In eleven cases, Google was rear-ended. 

Honored Contributor

Drivers who are distracted, tired, influened by drugs or alcohol - all valid reasons why people are terrible drivers nowadays.

The sheer number of people on the road nowadays is another reason.  There is so much traffic and congested and crabby people on the road. 

People need to have patience when they're driving.  Many do not.

It's a huge sigh of relief as the mother of two teenagers when they come home safe and sound.