Honored Contributor

Do you think people are worse drivers than they used to be?

They are in my area. We have a big 10 school here so we get an influx of young drivers who multi task while driving. It's very common for them not to stop for a right turn on red, but roll on through and much too fast

We also get a lot of foreign drivers and they might not  be the most experienced with traffic signs and round abouts

We also have terrible new stop signs for pedestrian crosses. They are terrible they flash a tiny rectangle of skinny light, so many just roll right on through. Unfortunately, we have had quite a few die from cars running them over

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think people are worse drivers than they used to be?

I think driving skills have become compromised by the diversions available to the operator.  People have always been in a hurry to get where they are going.

Esteemed Contributor

cherry,

I will say "I know" drivers of today are worse. Few ever drove on 2 lane roads(weave into wrong lane? Usually bad consequences). Do that today? Maybe a horn honk or well known 1 finger salute.

Distractions years ago? Passengers and, if lucky, a radio. Same question now? Too many to list. There is a reason I have been able to drive, accident free, for 59+ years and very little has to do with luck.

While there were still those DWD, not very many were impaired by illegal substances. Vehicle insurance has risen sky high because? Not because drivers today are as good as those of yesteryear, because they are worse.

Even at my advanced age I would love to take a simulated driving test against any younger driver. Even though I am not a betting man, I would bet on myself against any younger driver when it comes to reflex time to a pop up hazard and stopping in a shorter distance in that situation.

Am I cocky? No, I am that sure of my sight/reflexes and seeing impending danger long before any much younger opponent. And you can take that to the bank.

Full discloser: I've taken many different simulated driving studies and have scored?.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I think driving skills have become compromised by the diversions available to the operator.  People have always been in a hurry to get where they are going.

"Scuse me"!  That should read "Some People"

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

To begin with, there are a lot more cars on the road than there used to be.  And too many people are on their cellphones and, even worse, texting.  But beyond that, people are just more rude (and seem to think they're special).  My pet peeve is not using turn signals and not stopping at stop signs.  They kind of slow down, look for traffic and then speed through the intersection.  Many go thorugh red lights because it just changed and, of course, they can make it through before the other side goes.   So yes, in general, I think drivers today are worse than they used to be.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think they're worse and I don't think they're better. Even before people were calling and texting while they drove, they were doing their makeup, shaving, eating, reading maps, reading newspapers, etc. And they still do - I've seen people doing every one of those things on my commute to and from work.

Respected Contributor

There are also many more older drivers with decreased reflexes and response time and poorer vision. They overcompensate for their declining driving skills.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

With all these folks rolling through and running red lights, you would think "Red Light Cameras" would be welcomed with open arms. But when that conversation comes up, the same people complaining about running red lights are the same people complaining about cameras.
Super Contributor

Yes, definitely.  Some folks have always loved speed and used alcohol while driving. Nowadays, add to that  drug usuage  and cellphone usuage while driving and we have more dangerous drivers than ever.  Crowded roadways and speed are the worse culprits that contribute to horrible drivers in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

I believe, overall, we're more aggressive, rude, inconsiderate.  Whether behind the wheel, at the keyboard, or anywhere else, these traits adversely affect our quality of life on a daily basis.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.