Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think people are worse drivers than they used to be?

@sfnative wrote:

Being in my late 60s, I've had more than a bit of life pass me by and have driven many a mile in many different cars.  Based on my life in my cars, I need to declare that drivers are far worse than they were compared to those when I was a kid and teenager.

What's changed from my perspective is that I've been hit on four separate occasions by drunk drivers.  No lie.  One of the crashes was quite bad and the only reason I'm here today is that we were in a Cadillac, which protected us by its steel body (which accordioned).

The world that existed at a slower pace is now one that must get places faster at the risk of fellow drivers on the freeway.  A heavy foot on the accelerator in an attempt to "get there faster" will only get you there faster by a matter of seconds, says the California Highway Patrol.

I can't tell you how many near misses I've had since the 80s and it's gotten worse now that the "Me Generation" is behind the wheel and texting and calling is all too rampant, even with laws in place to deter such behavior - HA!  As the saying goes, "Where is a cop when you need one."

Wish there was time and space to really address the problem, because I feel this to be a national safety issue with many layers: everything from driving under the influence of whatever substance, to this need to hit the pedal to "get there faster," to road rage, to insufficient funds to keep our roads in good repair and provide safety barriers, etc., etc.

Great post, I completely agree.

Personally, I am a better driver because I drive much more defensively, due to all the factors mentioned here.

Another factor contributing to the problem is the speed limits are too high in many places. Even if you're driving near the speed limit, people will pass you flying. There's no reason to be in such a hurry.

I also don't think one should be able to drive until they're 18.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think people are worse drivers than they used to be?

Either they are worse drivers, or it just seems so because there are so many people on the road nowadays. I say to my dh every time we go out, that we have to always be on the defensive. People pull out in front of me all of the time causing me to break, even though there may not be a car behind me for miles. My biggest pet peeve.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein