Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think it's possible . . .

@tansy wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@tansy wrote:

From what I've read, yes, if both people are single.  Shared memories maybe.  I would not be interested in any of my old boyfriends though.

@tansy

Actually, I'm just musing, tansy.  There are so many "ifs" involved in such a thing, but I think of him every single day and have for years.  (Yes, it's me, ssh, LOL.)  I think I'm just lonely.  He was my last SO.

My computer sits right next to my window and I'm on the ground floor and I see so many older couples walking by, hand in hand.  The younger ones "jog" by, not realizing how fast life is going to go, I'm sure. 

Wish I wasn't so melancholy these days.

Didn't you meet up with an old flame a year or two back?  

@tansy

Believe it or not, that was four years ago.  My old high school unrequited romance.  Yes, he came down once and we met at a diner for about an hour.  Nothing came of it, but it was nice to see him again.  He said he would call, but I knew he wouldn't and he didn't.  He was married anyway.

Three men in my life that mattered.  My high school love, my first husband who died this past January, and my last SO, the one I'm talking about.  Out of all the boys/men I dated, only three mattered.  Something to think about.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

That unfortunately happened to my former neighbors (they had been married over 30 years).  They flew to Texas for his high school reunion and his old girlfriend was there and a widow.  My neighbors got a divorce and he married his old girlfriend and moved back to Texas. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Tutto è possibile!  (Anything is possible.)

Those of us -- of a certain age -- can appreciate those who have experienced what we've experienced.  There's a bond.

@just bee

Yes.  There is a bond, but he's a man and men can forget more than women can.

I won't do anything . . . too afraid of being rebuffed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Be brave.

@just bee

It's amazing that one can still be a little girl inside and yet be so old.  I wonder if we ever really grow up!

This reminds me of a school assignment a few years ago.  My classmates and I were told to go to a local senior center and interview someone there.

I walked in and saw someone who reminded me of my mother.  She smiled at me and I felt there was a connection, so I sat down beside her and we started chatting.  I soon discovered that she might have not even really seen me when I'd walked in because she was going blind.  Her name was Trudie and she was well into her eighties.  And she was a newlywed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

do think it is possible to reignite an old flame.  I also think it's sad to not try if the opportunity comes around.  

@LilacTree  If this man is available, meaning unattached, free-and clear, what would be wrong with just touching base to say, "hello, been thinking of you"?  Put the ball in his court and see if he runs with it.    After all, how do you know he isn't thinking and mooning about you, too?  What if both of you spend the rest of your lives wondering, "what if"?  See what I mean about it being sad?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

Go for it LilacTree!!!Smiley Wink

Life is short, take a chance.

If it dosn't work out, nothing lost, nothing gained, and you won't be wondering "what if" and have any "regrets".

Best of of Luck...

Love, Bohemian GirlHeart

Respected Contributor

I have my doubts.  I think what you had in common then pretty much disappeared when the romance died.  I know I question why I was even with some people and what on earth I saw in them at that time.

Honored Contributor

@Lesa wrote:

@LilacTree I have tears in my eyes from just typing that post.

Last email from him said " I love you and always will."  2 months later, he was gone from this earth.

@Lesa

I'm so sorry to hear that. 

"Only earth and sky last forever."  An old American Indian expression. 

(One wonders if that's true anymore though.)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

This  is a little off topic.

My parents divorced when I was 12 after 20 years of marriage. They both remarried. My Father divorced his second wife , my Mother's second husband died a few years later. My parents remained friends for many years after that.  My Mother died about 12 years ago....my Father last year at age 95.   They were both layed to rest next to each other. Some 40   years later they are now together again. My Father arranged it with my Mother's approval prior to her passing. 

They really always loved one another.....but life and bad feelings got in the way.  My Mother always would tell me in secret that she always would love my Father to end of time.   I hope they are happy now wherever they are.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I have my doubts.  I think what you had in common then pretty much disappeared when the romance died.  I know I question why I was even with some people and what on earth I saw in them at that time.

@hoosieroriginal

I have thought of that so many times.  But never about the three men I mentioned, including this one.  I know exactly what drew me to them and still would.

Formerly Ford1224
Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden Your parents are now forever together. Beautiful post.