Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think it's possible . . .

@LilacTree wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

After 24 years, many things change. Some for better and some not. Reviving a romantic relationship after that many years...?....I would think not. A good friendship, maybe. But not a romantic one.

@SilleeMee

I totally agree on that score.  I know his mom died several years ago, she used to keep in touch with me.  I guess I'm just being foolish.

Being a good friend is never foolish.  Everybody needs good friends!

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Tutto è possibile!  (Anything is possible.)

Those of us -- of a certain age -- can appreciate those who have experienced what we've experienced.  There's a bond.

@just bee

Yes.  There is a bond, but he's a man and men can forget more than women can.

I won't do anything . . . too afraid of being rebuffed.

I think it is smart because I think both of you would have memories and expectations that would be very difficult to mesh and resolve.  Neither of you are remotely the same person, your experiences and views surely have changed a lot. . . to me you would be trying to put memories of a past relationship on top of a relationship with a now different person.  I would think that would be hard.

Esteemed Contributor

The truly sad thing would be to spend the rest of your life wondering....never knowing if it could work out...even if only a friendship....perhaps he is wondering, too...

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Tutto è possibile!  (Anything is possible.)

Those of us -- of a certain age -- can appreciate those who have experienced what we've experienced.  There's a bond.

@just bee

Yes.  There is a bond, but he's a man and men can forget more than women can.

I won't do anything . . . too afraid of being rebuffed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Be brave.

@just bee

It's amazing that one can still be a little girl inside and yet be so old.  I wonder if we ever really grow up!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

@LilacTree

Go for it.  You both deserve unconditional love. 

Valued Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . to revive a romance that ended 24 years ago?  The two people really loved each other.

I say "yes", it's possible. .. and when I play the George Jones song "He stopped Loving her Today", It  reminds me of a long ago romance.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@tansy wrote:

From what I've read, yes, if both people are single.  Shared memories maybe.  I would not be interested in any of my old boyfriends though.

@tansy

Actually, I'm just musing, tansy.  There are so many "ifs" involved in such a thing, but I think of him every single day and have for years.  (Yes, it's me, ssh, LOL.)  I think I'm just lonely.  He was my last SO.

My computer sits right next to my window and I'm on the ground floor and I see so many older couples walking by, hand in hand.  The younger ones "jog" by, not realizing how fast life is going to go, I'm sure. 

Wish I wasn't so melancholy these days.

Didn't you meet up with an old flame a year or two back?  

Honored Contributor

@Lesa wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . to revive a romance that ended 24 years ago?  The two people really loved each other.

I say "yes", it's possible. .. and when I play the George Jones song "He stopped Loving her Today", It  reminds me of a long ago romance.

@Lesa

OMG, every time I hear that song, I sob.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

@LilacTree I have tears in my eyes from just typing that post.

Last email from him said " I love you and always will."  2 months later, he was gone from this earth.

Regular Contributor

I believe so.  I don't think there's anything wrong with reaching out to see how he's doing.  I called an old flame years ago and we still keep in touch as friends.  Turned out he said he had often thought of me but didn't know how to get in touch (didn't know what my then married name was). Not knowing all of the details (and it's nobody's business but yours), he may be thinking of you as well but something similar may be keeping him from contacting you.  Be BOLD, YOLO!!!  Good luck!!