Valued Contributor

Re: Do you think it's possible . . .

I've read this entire thread and I say, go for it. Life is so, so short that I just believe that if you want something you should give it a try. You are always a woman till the day you leave this earth, please get in touch  with him. Time is precious. If he isn't interested, you've lost nothing. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Me, I would take the more fish in the sea approach.  Go to the local senior center and just check out who hangs out there.  Talk to all the people and get an idea of who you enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree

I agree withl@Trinity11,

There are so many older people living very fun lives with or without a significant other

My husband and I know a man in his seventies who lost his wife a couple of years ago. He had taken care of her for years as her health declined.

We saw him a few days ago with a new woman in his life.  She looks like she is in her sixties and from our conversation, she seemed to be very nice and full of life herself.  She is a member of a singing group that performs during the holidays and is getting involved with all the plans for the coming holiday season.  He told us he'll be gone for a month while visiting her during the beginning stages of these program plannings.  Both my husband and I were so happy to see these two together  enjoying life. 

My dad remarried after my mother's death and continued to enjoy life.

I believe life is short, as many have said, and if you are wanting to contact this man, go for it.

If he does not respond, I would hope you would not feel too disappointed. 

But he might be very happy to hear from you.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Preds wrote:

I have sent him birthday cards in the past and received no response.  Also photos of my girls and received no response.

I think this is the answer to your question @LilacTree. It doesn't appear that he is interested enough to go back to those "good years".  I'm sorry if this sounds cold, but he is not remebering those times the same way you are.  Perhaps he can't.  You are still mentally active, but maybe he isn't.  I would think that he would have reached out at some point and time if he were interested and that hasn't happened. 

Blessings on whatever you decide. 

Well  it's  wrap....lol    He isn't interested in you.  Keep your dignity and stop pursuing the man.  

@chrystaltree

Actually I haven't tried to contact him in any way for a long time, probably eight years. 

@Preds

Preds is right and so are you.  I think I needed that wakeup call yesterday to end my melancholy.  I don't want a man, don't need a man . . . I was just reliving the past, one of my happier periods.  I am in the "old old" category now, not too many years left, if "years" at all.  It's scary. 

@LilacTreeI really wish you would stop with the age thing. (said in a pleasant tone of voice) You are not so old that you cannot have a new good friend back in your life. You are every bit as vital as you always were and just because you are in your 70's should you rule out a good man in your life. I know men in their 90's who have a woman in their life. They used to attend meetings with my dad for the Knights of Columbus and they held dances and even if some could barely walk they attended. It's much more about being a part of life and enjoying every day.

Please, please don't give up and let anyone tell you here that you need to keep your dignity. The heck with dignity....you would probably benefit greatly from having this man back in your life. Nothing ventured ...nothing won. I hope you will do something about it and stop thinking that you are "old." There are plenty of "old" people that I know with lots of illnesses that continue to keep up their friendships. Just think of this man as a past love that you want to be friends with. I think you are doing yourself a vast injustice if you don't try and contact him.

Looking forward to seeing a thread from you about the outcome. At least you tried....think of it that way.Heart

@Trinity11

I know, trinity . . . I am such a bore.  I don't blame anyone for thinking that (not saying you do). 

I'm an impetuous person . . . most likely the only way I would do this is to just suddenly pick up the phone and call.  The more I agonize and plan, the less likely I am to do it (or anything else for that matter).

Thank you for your heartfelt response.

@LilacTree

I can't believe you are still thinking about this guy when BRAD PITT is now available!!!  archery.gif

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Preds wrote:

I have sent him birthday cards in the past and received no response.  Also photos of my girls and received no response.

I think this is the answer to your question @LilacTree. It doesn't appear that he is interested enough to go back to those "good years".  I'm sorry if this sounds cold, but he is not remebering those times the same way you are.  Perhaps he can't.  You are still mentally active, but maybe he isn't.  I would think that he would have reached out at some point and time if he were interested and that hasn't happened. 

Blessings on whatever you decide. 

Well  it's  wrap....lol    He isn't interested in you.  Keep your dignity and stop pursuing the man.  

@chrystaltree

Actually I haven't tried to contact him in any way for a long time, probably eight years. 

@Preds

Preds is right and so are you.  I think I needed that wakeup call yesterday to end my melancholy.  I don't want a man, don't need a man . . . I was just reliving the past, one of my happier periods.  I am in the "old old" category now, not too many years left, if "years" at all.  It's scary. 

@LilacTreeI really wish you would stop with the age thing. (said in a pleasant tone of voice) You are not so old that you cannot have a new good friend back in your life. You are every bit as vital as you always were and just because you are in your 70's should you rule out a good man in your life. I know men in their 90's who have a woman in their life. They used to attend meetings with my dad for the Knights of Columbus and they held dances and even if some could barely walk they attended. It's much more about being a part of life and enjoying every day.

Please, please don't give up and let anyone tell you here that you need to keep your dignity. The heck with dignity....you would probably benefit greatly from having this man back in your life. Nothing ventured ...nothing won. I hope you will do something about it and stop thinking that you are "old." There are plenty of "old" people that I know with lots of illnesses that continue to keep up their friendships. Just think of this man as a past love that you want to be friends with. I think you are doing yourself a vast injustice if you don't try and contact him.

Looking forward to seeing a thread from you about the outcome. At least you tried....think of it that way.Heart

@Trinity11

I know, trinity . . . I am such a bore.  I don't blame anyone for thinking that (not saying you do). 

I'm an impetuous person . . . most likely the only way I would do this is to just suddenly pick up the phone and call.  The more I agonize and plan, the less likely I am to do it (or anything else for that matter).

Thank you for your heartfelt response.

@LilacTree

I can't believe you are still thinking about this guy when BRAD PITT is now available!!!  archery.gif

@fortune

Ha ha ha . . . and I do love him too!! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

Me, I would take the more fish in the sea approach.  Go to the local senior center and just check out who hangs out there.  Talk to all the people and get an idea of who you enjoy.

@KarenQVC

This brought me back to my former apartment (a 62 and over apartment building which was brand new when we all moved in).  It was before my spinal compressions, so I was still pretty physically able. 

They had get-togethers every Friday night which were a lot of fun.  There was a very tall former basketball player who took a liking to me.  We became friends as I taught him some of the workings of computers. 

After my back surgery, I stopped going to the Friday night events and saw very little of everyone there.  Then one day I went down to get my mail and saw him sitting in the recreation room.  He was facing the TV so he didn't see me behind him.  I said "hi [his name] and he sorta just casually waved, did not turn around and said "hi" back.  As I walked up in front of him, he jumped at least six inches out of his chair, shocked to see me, I guess.  We laughed and talked together for about ten minutes.  He said he hoped I would come down more often, but I began to need a walker to support me and I never went down again as I was too embarrassed.  I saw him from a distance a few times, but that was all.  I still think about his reaction and it makes me smile.  However, I moved out to this apartment with my daughter a year later. 

These apartments are not age-specific, although there are a lot of older folks because they are limited to two bedrooms.  They have a recreation building with a pool and tennis court, and a room (where we had our family reunion last year) but it is used for private parties only.

As I said, I'm really not looking for "a man," I was just being melancholy over my last relationship.  But I thank you for your kind advice.  Everyone here, for that matter, has been very kind about this post . . . it could have easily been otherwise, as you all probably know.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Anything is posible. I haven't read all but was wondering if you tried calling also.  For me I am not interested in cooking and cleaning again or the other. There is a man down the block even before I became a widow was interested but for sx. He had a wife bu t she wa mostly an invalid. Talking is enough for me. My mother in law married for the 2nd time later in life but I know it was for the social security. H died a few years after.

Good luck for what ever you decide.

Respected Contributor

You can always try.  Smiley HappyHeart

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero