Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think a pilot that has a mental illness should lose his job?

I have not read the responses..

BUT...My career is mental health..27+ years..in all aspects working up..from direct care to administration, clinical administration, to going to court..to still covering Triage (psych ER.)

that said..sigh...I am the first one that wants LESS stigma for the mentally ill..BUT when it comes right down to it..we must ensure the safety of others..at all times..so I am going to have to say NO...but say they are diagnosed Bipolar on medication and treatment for years...totally stable and the meds do away with the cycle...I may change my thoughts after a mental eval and let them be a co...it is really a tough line..do you want to take away somebody's career..ability to support themselves..no..but you also need to weigh the risks/cons and if there is the slightest chance they are going to harm themselves..then yes.

Usually people are after harming themselves but sometimes they are so irrational and not thoroughly thinking clearly that the thought outweighs everything else. I knew somebody who wanted to kill themselves..so they ran their car into an bridge ...what they did not think clearly through was what if another car was in front of them ? Exactly...they didn't..hit that car and killed the driver instantly..the person wanting to kill themselves escaped injury. So we now hav not only a severly depression person with clinical depression but guilt ..not a good combo..

Super Contributor

Depends on the specific traits of the impairment. I wouldn't mind a pilot with OCD and perhaps the Sensitive personality and surely there are more that wouldn't make me feel in danger.

Maybe a Narcissistic person would always make sure they were safe and I'd be along for the perfect ride.

Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Love Roses said:
On 3/31/2015 golfcartrider said:

I know of a pilot that flew drunk for over ten years and is still flying but not US planes.

I would like to see pilots or anyone that has the lives of many in their hands have a drug and alcohol test before a trip and after the trip.

I've been on a flight where the pilot was sauced. Nervous and scary to say the least. He de-planed when he landed with his pint in his hand in front of the passengers! Not a domestic flight but he was a yankee pilot flying for a foreign airline. This journey called life.

I hope you reported him! Apparently foreign airlines don't mind drunk pilots.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

They should not be able to fly planes!
"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2015 JuJu Squeezie said:

Depends on the specific traits of the impairment. I wouldn't mind a pilot with OCD and perhaps the Sensitive personality and surely there are more that wouldn't make me feel in danger.

Maybe a Narcissistic person would always make sure they were safe and I'd be along for the perfect ride.

I agree.

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 HollyDays said:

If someone has mental illness then they should not fly a plane a be response for the lives of others. I understand they are afraid to report it because they know it will cost them their job, so what do you think the solution should be?

I have no solution. All I know is that the pilot who took all those people with him certainly gave off enough warning signs to be prohibited from flying. Suicidal would certainly be the "red line". How the airlines can fairly implement restrictions...I have no idea.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Love Roses said:

I know of a pilot that flew drunk for over ten years and is still flying but not US planes.

I would like to see pilots or anyone that has the lives of many in their hands have a drug and alcohol test before a trip and after the trip.

I've been on a flight where the pilot was sauced. Nervous and scary to say the least. He de-planed when he landed with his pint in his hand in front of the passengers! Not a domestic flight but he was a yankee pilot flying for a foreign airline. This journey called life.

I hope you reported him! Apparently foreign airlines don't mind drunk pilots.

It was a fifth world country. It barely had the funky airport that it had. Wouldn't have made any difference.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2015 beammeupscottie said:

If someone has mental illness then they should not fly a plane a be response for the lives of others. I understand they are afraid to report it because they know it will cost them their job, so what do you think the solution should be?

I have no solution. All I know is that the pilot who took all those people with him certainly gave off enough warning signs to be prohibited from flying. Suicidal would certainly be the "red line". How the airlines can fairly implement restrictions...I have no idea.

You can't always be "fair." You can't always manage situations. Sometimes you have to just do the right thing.

The safety of airline passengers is the priority.

I'm not worried about someone's career. I'm worried about people's lives. If a person has to be removed from duty to protect others, then he or she will have to deal with it and go on.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do. It depends on the mental illness, there are some that should not rule a pilot out. But depression, bi polar, schizophrenia; a pilot with most mental illnesses should not be allowed to fly. That includes alcoholism and substance abuse. Also, a pilot with suicide ideation in recent years also should not be allowed to fly.

Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:
On 3/31/2015 beammeupscottie said:

You can't always be "fair." You can't always manage situations. Sometimes you have to just do the right thing.

The safety of airline passengers is the priority.

I'm not worried about someone's career. I'm worried about people's lives. If a person has to be removed from duty to protect others, then he or she will have to deal with it and go on.

I agree. I suppose my "fairness" comment referred to how and who defines the "mental illness". Again, the recent crash clearly illustrates more needs to be done. I do agree with everything you said.