Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think a pilot that has a mental illness should lose his job?

On 3/30/2015 ktlynam said:

Not necessarily, but he/she should definitely be removed from flying an airplane and put on a medical leave or reassigned another job pending full medical evaluation and continuing evaluation for a period of time until she/he can return to piloting an aircraft.

Agreed.

People are assuming that every pilot who has been diagnosed with depression won't take their medication.

Can't make a blanket statement like that, because there are people who are depressed, who do take their medication as directed.

Those people shouldn't be punished.

Respected Contributor

Of course he/she should lose their job as a pilot and be placed elsewhere in the company...in a job where they are not responsible for hundreds of lives.
Super Contributor

Yes, I think if a pilot is mentally ill he should not be able to fly. Same goes for ANY profession that is responsible for other peoples lives.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 dooBdoo said:

Hi, HollyDays!Smile

I know it's a sticky wicket, but so far my opinion is that the pilots' physicians and therapists should be designated as "mandated reporters" and pilots whose abilities are in question should be reassigned to other positions away from the cockpit.

It's so complicated, because doing this has the potential of causing pilots to avoid getting medical diagnoses or treatments, but when we place the lives of so many in their hands... well, even though there's no perfect solution we need to take steps to try and provide more protections.

I totally agree. I also don't think that anyone who is on antidepressants should be automatically cut from flying, there are many reasons people take antidepressants and some have nothing to do with mental health. There is also a big difference between being on a small dosage of an anti depressant and being on large dosages of an antipsychotics and I won't be surprised at all if we find out that is what he was supposed to be on.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

Hi, <em>HollyDays</em>!Smile

I know it's a sticky wicket, but so far my opinion is that the pilots' physicians and therapists should be designated as "mandated reporters" and pilots whose abilities are in question should be reassigned to other positions away from the cockpit.

It's so complicated, because doing this has the potential of causing pilots to avoid getting medical diagnoses or treatments, but when we place the lives of so many in their hands... well, even though there's no perfect solution we need to take steps to try and provide more protections.

I totally agree. I also don't think that anyone who is on antidepressants should be automatically cut from flying, there are many reasons people take antidepressants and some have nothing to do with mental health. There is also a big difference between being on a small dosage of an anti depressant and being on large dosages of an antipsychotics and I won't be surprised at all if we find out that is what he was supposed to be on.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Why punish someone who is going through a rough patch?

I also agree with dooBdoo. If they know that they are going to never fly again if they self-report, then they won't self-report.

Honored Contributor

I don't want a pilot on drugs in the cockpit. Lots of people have to settle for a job that isn't the one they desire. How many get their dream job, not many.
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 occasional rain said: I don't want a pilot on drugs in the cockpit. Lots of people have to settle for a job that isn't the one they desire. How many get their dream job, not many.

Neither do I, same for bus drivers, train drivers etc. I don't think that's too much to ask for....

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/30/2015 occasional rain said: I don't want a pilot on drugs in the cockpit. Lots of people have to settle for a job that isn't the one they desire. How many get their dream job, not many.

Which drugs?

Any drugs?

All drugs?

Aspirin?

If we got rid of all pilots who were "on drugs", there would be very few left to fly the planes, and yo thought that the price were expensive now.

Just wait until there are even less around to do so.

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Plaid Pants said:
On 3/30/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

Hi, <em>HollyDays</em>!Smile

I couldn't agree with you more.

Why punish someone who is going through a rough patch?

I also agree with dooBdoo. If they know that they are going to never fly again if they self-report, then they won't self-report.

Would your opinion be so generous if one of your children was among the 16 that he murdered?

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Plaid Pants said:

Which drugs?

Any drugs?

All drugs?

Aspirin?

If we got rid of all pilots who were "on drugs", there would be very few left to fly the planes, and yo thought that the price were expensive now.

Just wait until there are even less around to do so.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}