Honored Contributor

Re: Do you talk to yourself?

So far, in the time of Covid....that would be a yes!  I like to consult with the YES side of me. LOL

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I do, and get the best answers

@Janey2 & @CelticCrafter 

Belly laughs from both of your comments ha!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

All the time. Sometimes those are my best conversations! Smiley Wink 

My husband talks to himself and so does my son. 

a better ? Might be -- who doesn't talk to themselves? Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes ! I'm my own best support person 😉.

Valued Contributor

Sometimes.Smiley Happy   If I think of something annoying, I might say out loud, "Do you believe that?"  Or "Remember that?"  I bet it's pretty common.  

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

IMO talking to yourself is a sign of high intelligence!!  I do it all the time--LOL!!!

Phew...good to know. I was so afraid this thread was going to go all negative and I'd be secretly hanging my head in shame. lol.

Respected Contributor

Oh yes.  Sometimes in other language accents or regional accents.  The topic might require that or I'm just bored with my own inner voice. Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

I talk to myself alot inwardly.   Hope that makes sense.   I don't talk to myself outwardly.  Don't even know if I spelled inwardly and outwardly correctly!!!!  

Honored Contributor

Yes, sometimes I do. I find I can remember things like phone numbers and names better if I say them out loud until I can write them down.

Also, talking to myself out loud can help me focus. It's like having a bossy friend coaching me, redirecting me to the things I need to get done. Sometimes I don't have time for dithering or endlessly weighing options, and that's when it's a good idea to break in and say out loud, "Enough. Not helpful." "Make a choice." "Okay we need to get going." or "Let's just get it done." Things like that.

I think that if your friend's mother is dealing with a little low level decline or disruption in her capabilities, using the verbal/speaking out loud part of her brain can help bolster her thought processes. (Not saying that is going on, but if it is, then it's actually probably helping her function and is a good thing.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Yes, sometimes when I'm trying to remember something or going through my to do list. 
I also talk to the tv when someone on a reality show says something stupid which is pretty much all the time.