Honored Contributor

We take a lot of 2-3 day vacations.  I dont care to take real long ones because of pond and my cats.  One is on medication.  We like it that way.  Next year we go to england, and stay a few weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

A few years ago, DH and I started to go on a 1 week vacation yearly.  The last 3 years it has been a cruise.

We also have a travel trailer so we go camping about 5 or 6 times a year.

This year I am also doing an extended weekend girls trip to Sonoma. There will be 7 of us.  We leave on a Thursday evening and come back on Tuesday evening.  We rented what looks like a gorgeous home.  I cannot wait.  

@Lipstickdiva 

If you are speaking of Sonoma, California then you are in for a real treat. I have not been up there in years but I remember it being absolutely beautiful. 

Esteemed Contributor

@foggy! 

Literally, have not had a vacation since April of 1997, when we went to St. Croix.

We have had only 3 day weekend trips, which are no fun, in my book.

Respected Contributor

When we were working we always had the next vacation, long weekends etc. planned.  I don't like vacations that much anymore because my husband cannot walk that much, has stomach problems etc. etc. and I feel vacations cost too much to spend them sitting at the hotel and always hunting for the bathroom.  I now understand why older people love cruises since they just have to get there and then they are able to sleep, eat and not have far to go to the bathroom.  I don't like cruises so we don't go much.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you take vacations?

[ Edited ]

No,  I find travel anxiety- producing and stressful.  Partly because my DH gets anxious and angry if driving in ANY traffic, never mind when he is relying on me to navigate. We just fuel each other and it gets so ugly.  I’ve given up traveling.  He also has stomach problems, so eating out is hard for him.

I am pretty much a homebody anyway, and I don’t like having my dog in a kennel, but I kinda miss seeing places- 

Anyway, I have accepted things as they are-

Being married is a lot of sacrifice. Thats all I’m gonna say. 

Honored Contributor

No.

When the children were small, we would go to the beach every summer for 2 weeks. Grandparents would join us. Everyone would have a great time except for me. I did the same thing I did at home: cook, clean, care for the kids, do the wash, grocery shop, etc. The same amount of type of work but at a different location; that's NOT a vacation IMHO.

Now that my eldest is disabled, traveling with him is extremely difficult. There is no guarantee day to day, hour to hour he will be awake, able to walk, etc. It's expensive and no fun for everyone else. He feels bad, everyone else feels bad....we don't do it.

DH and his brothers will go on vacations; occasionally with the grandparents or with other friends. Unless I am going to do NOTHING BUT WHAT I WANT TO DO and relax, it's not a vacation so....I stay home with my son.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we take vacations but not as many or as long as we would like. Last 2 years we went to Hilton Head and plan on going again this year.

Mainly our vacations are cut back because of our dog. He was a rescue. And he must have spent time in a cage because when we got him he had messed up his nose and jaw by biting on the metal around the cage. He also had some health issues. The worst is lyme's disease. 

We boarded him at a recommended Vet while we were on vacation. He messed up his nose during his stay.He also refused to eat. I am afraid that if he is ever in a cage again he might break his jaw. 

So last year we used Rover. He stayed at a lovely home with a Mom and her daughter. The daughter took him to the park and he seemed to be OK. But the one thing that bothered me, according to the Mom and daughter, was he did not eat the entire time he was at their house. And he was there 7 days.

He is almost 12 years old. So he is a senior and set in his ways. He likes to spend his days, sitting on the front lawn in the shade. So we end up staying home alot. But he is family so we try and work together.

We go on one vacation a year and not for more than a week. And once he is no longer running the show - we will be traveling alot more.

Super Contributor

I'm a big fan of the "stay-cation"!  I traveled a lot when I was younger.  I had no fear, and the world was different 20 years ago.  Now, as I'm settling in to middle age, I'm much happier to stay home.  I've worked hard in life to be able to afford nicer things.  It's much more luxurious to me to snuggle in to my own bed, perfect sheets, kitties by my side, a bathroom stocked with all my favorite grooming goodies, and a kitchen (currently being remodeled) that has everything I need to make something delicious.  I LOVE home!! 

I still do day trips and really enjoy exploring our local areas, but to me, there's no place like home Smiley Wink

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

With two 12-year old dogs, we have not gone anywhere since 2013 ... not comfortable putting dogs in a kennel or trust a housesitter.   Enjoyed seeing the Grand Canyon & Vegas ... that is my last vacation ... crowds, traffic, weather ... it's unpredictable.    I now have anxiety on interstates due to 18-wheelers, so to stay home is my new normal.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take vacations?

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

A few years ago, DH and I started to go on a 1 week vacation yearly.  The last 3 years it has been a cruise.

We also have a travel trailer so we go camping about 5 or 6 times a year.

This year I am also doing an extended weekend girls trip to Sonoma. There will be 7 of us.  We leave on a Thursday evening and come back on Tuesday evening.  We rented what looks like a gorgeous home.  I cannot wait.  

OMG @Lipstickdiva  have you seen the movie Wine Country with Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph, etc.?  It's about an extended weekend girls trip to Napa.  There are six of them in total, renting a spectacular home owned by Tina Fey's character.  Just released last month on Netflix.  A little racy, but hysterical!!