Respected Contributor

Re: Do you store your 9-Volt batteries in a junk drawer?

I had no idea of any of this regarding 9v batteries, and I really appreciate the warning.

I keep my batteries in their original package, and put those in two plastic containers in a drawer, so they don't come into contact with other batteries or "junk."

I guess this concern would go double for those big batteries that weigh a ton that are used for things like lanterns. They usually come with a protective cap over one of the contacts. I'm going to tape the cap from the replacement battery over the old one next time I change them out, to prevent problems.

Our recycling center used to take batteries and CFL bulbs, but no longer. They say "throw them in the trash." I just can't (plus I'm not even sure if it's legal) so I've got a growing collection of each. 

Esteemed Contributor

I store most of my batteries in a plastic box I bought at a craft store.  It has individual sections, so the ends don't touch each other.  I don't have to keep the packaging this way, so there's less clutter.  I still keep oversized or button-type batteries in their packaging though.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to work for some scientists and they swore that putting the batteries in a fridge was sound advice and even made the batteries last a little longer.  Well, that was 30 years ago and I don't think it applies today... that refrigeration might help in some situations but generally no.  Keeping them in the original packaging and standing them upright sounds good.  I buy them in bulk and keep them stored like this until I need them.....

I did keep them in the fridge for years because of that advice.... today no, and am happy to get them out of my crisper....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@sabatini

although I don't have junk drawer I keep my batteries in my drawer in hutch. I never knew this & am going to share with others!

IMG_1940.PNG

Trusted Contributor

Didn't know this...I just checked as we always have 9v batteries, and they all have little plastic covers...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

I keep my batteries in a drawer in my dresser. Most are still in the packages they came in. A few are loose - but I put scotch tape over the ends - and make sure no 2 batteries touch each other. I don't just toss them where they wind up on top of other items. I definitely would never have put them in my pocket.

Respected Contributor

I continue to be amazed that so many of you properly store your batteries! 

Impressive. Smiley Happy

Muddling through...