Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you still read a newspaper?

I get the WSJ on line; but I take a paper for local news.  I do think it's important to keep up with what's going on in your community.  I have a great couple who deliver our paper.  

Esteemed Contributor

Ive been reading at least 2 big city papers since I was in elementary school (I'm 79). When I retired I switched to online only and still read Washington Post and NYT daily. I look around for good subscription rates and I think both papers combined cost about $130 annually. I also read Drudge Report daily as well as selected other papers occasionally (LA Times, Boston Globe, USA Today).

Honored Contributor

We get a paper 7 days a week. Something so easy and absorbing about reading hard copy.  I do subscribe  to 2 online newspapers. I read a lot.  But for me reading the hard copy is better for absorption of info

Respected Contributor

I turn on our local news channel on their phone app if I am the least bit interested in something local. It is nothing positive or interesting...just crime or other things I don't want to hear again. Stopped getting our rag of a paper years ago since it is basically just political and not really news, as in current news we can use. I also read the news on my iPad or phone so I can expand the font; regular newspaper is much too tiny print for me. The digital subscription for our newspaper isn't worth the money as little as I would use it. DH still likes a newspaper to hold and read but ne finally decided to cancel since we were the only house on our block still getting it, so they wanted to charge us an extra $20 a month for delivery. No way.

Respected Contributor

My Next Door app gives me most of the local news I need. 

Respected Contributor

Last newspaper I read said Dewey beat Truman.  Gave up after that.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

We stopped getting a newspaper years ago.  I use to enjoy actually reading the paper but with smartphones I have already read the articles prior to receiving the paper.  DH was the hold out but when it got to the point that the paper came 3 days per week and they were piled up unread I cancelled.

When it comes to books though I have to read a real book not electronic.  Its not the same.

Respected Contributor

My dad has been a bit sad lately because the Birmingham News stopped publishing.  He's been getting it since 1965!  He still gets a small local newspaper.  I am going to try to get him an ipad and see if he will be able to use that.  

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have subscribed to our paper for as long as I can remember. I know it's not what it used to be but I enjoy it very much and will continue to be a subscriber as long as it is available. I'm doing my little part to help keep them going! 

Trusted Contributor

I have been reading the city newspaper since I was 12 yrs old (from front to back which includes the front page section, local section, business section, sports section and additional ones on weekends). It takes me about an hour and is part of my morning ritual.