Honored Contributor

Re: Do you still own/watch dvd’s?

I'm glad people are ditching their DVD players so they can pay another monthly charge to belong to Netflix and all these other money grabbers. My cousin gave me a poop load of FREE DVD's it was like Xmas !

Respected Contributor

Sure Do!  Why wouldn't I?  I am a very tangable type person. If I Buy something,  I want to be able to hold it in my hands.  And I see no reason to jump on the technology fast track band wagon until my currant devices give up the ghost.  Any of the DVDs Or Books for that matter I have,  I've watched/read more than once. 

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@songbird Do you like Doc Martin as well?  That’s one of my favorite older British shows.

@Ketra  Look forward to Dr. Martin.....has the same unique creativity that House had.  We don't watch a lot of TV, but we record Dr. Martin.  (Don't you love the dog that keeps coming back!)

@phoenixbrd   British shows are so funny. They have a completely different style of humor than American sitcoms. Mind you, I love the older American sitcoms just as much. (All in the Family, Mash, Everyone Loves Raymond...) I love house too. I have the whole collection.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra   Love British humor....we used to watch As Time Goes By with Judi Dench and Keeping Up Appearances with the inimitable Mrs. Bouquet.

Honored Contributor

No.  We ditched the DVD player years ago and that stack of DVD's that no one watched anyway.   Why would you donate an ancient DVD player and DVD's to some charity?  Time has moved on, no one will want that stuff.  It's just something the charity will have to dispose of.  Dispose of it yourself.  

Honored Contributor

We own quite a few, and my husband does watch them.   Teacher daughter takes many to school for her students to watch (cartoons and cute ones like Milo and Otis).   I have the Breaking Bad series, the Duck Dynasty series, and My Name is Earl series, but have not watched a DVD in at least 5 years.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh 

Yes we do, and many. Now I buy only Blu-ray DVD because I am an audio/video nut. I have many series DVD about WWII and other similar, some of which have been upgraded to HD standards, and re-released. Have all of Hogan's Heroes because I live that show.

My wife has series she also loves like: Friends/Mike and Mary/Mad About You/Soap the TV Show, and many others. We both love watching past TV series that were actually funny, and more like what true life really was/is. 

Can't understand why your husband needed to "learn" a DVD player, unless he doesn't know how to use a remote control or operate TV set and he still gets up to change channels. If it is "hooked up", you turn it on(some TV sets automatically switch inputs to show the DVD. Movie? Hit play.

To each be their own. As long as you 2 are satisfied that's all that matters. Me? I want a bigger variety of life in my remaining time here, and watching a good DVD is a part of it.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still own and watch

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

No.  We ditched the DVD player years ago and that stack of DVD's that no one watched anyway.   Why would you donate an ancient DVD player and DVD's to some charity?  Time has moved on, no one will want that stuff.  It's just something the charity will have to dispose of.  Dispose of it yourself.  

@chrystaltree 

Sorry, I disagree! Nobody?  Do you know how many DVD's, be they SD/HD or Blu-ray are being sold each year along with the hardware to play them?  Maybe you have these mixed up with the 16mm film of old.

I a charity wouldn't be happy to get them, I could easily find several that will.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Omg!  I had video cassettes in my mind.  Not too long ago, my friend was talking about her mother's piles and stacks of  dusty VCR tapes and her mom's wonky VCR machine.