Trusted Contributor

Do you still have your wedding dress?

And would it still fit? I just unearthed mine from 1984.  I marvelled at how small it was.  It's a little different from a traditional wedding dress so I'm hoping I can donate it.

Contributor

Re: Do you still have your wedding dress?

Yes, and it is too big. I was a plus size when I got married. Mine is very different and beautiful. I would choose the same dress again. My divorce was final last week after 21 years of marriage and I will donate it to a company that makes outfits for deceased babies whose parents cannot afford an outfit to bury them in when I am ready.

Respected Contributor

@DecorDiva Yes and no.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  42 yrs. later, I pulled it out a couple weeks ago to try it on.  The sleeves were good and it was comfortable from the waist down.  My rib cage and bust was too big for it to zip..

Respected Contributor

Absolutely not.  I put mine in the trash when I divorced.  I did not wish to donate it and pass my bad luck on to someone else.  Plus I did not like it in the first place.  It was handmade and once it was completed, I was stuck with it.  It was white velvet.

Esteemed Contributor

My wedding gown was ruined in a basement flood years ago. I don't think I could get even one leg in it today. I am currently a size 10. In the old days, I was about a 4/5. The equivalent today would be 0-2. I weighed 112 on my wedding day. That one leg I mentioned...I think that now weighs 112 too!

Trusted Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

Yes, and it is too big. I was a plus size when I got married. Mine is very different and beautiful. I would choose the same dress again. My divorce was final last week after 21 years of marriage and I will donate it to a company that makes outfits for deceased babies whose parents cannot afford an outfit to bury them in when I am ready.

@MG Chris  - I recenlty read about that organization.  That is a wonderful thing to do.

Honored Contributor

No I do not have it anymore and yes I could still wear it 40 years later.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

No, I don't have mine. When we cleaned out my late mother's house I found it and it had turned yellow from white. It was a typical 70's Quiana style, long sleeves, V neckline, aurora borealis beaded waist band and flowing skirt. The bride in a Love Boat wedding would've worn it.

My mom and I'd looked at really pretty, more traditional (and expensive) lacy dresses. But when I spied my dress in a wedding boutique bankruptcy sale I knew it was THE ONE!

Too bad the man I picked wasn't.......

Honored Contributor

Haven't had it for a long time.