Honored Contributor

Re: Do you still have your high school or college ring?

Yes I do.  We had a discussion like this on the boards about five years or more back and several of us dug out our rings and wore.  I really did enjoy wearing it for quite a few weeks before I put back in my jewelry box.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Nope. I lost track of that thing decades ago.  I only wore  it senior year and maybe my first year of college.  It languished in my jewelry box for several years after that and I don't know what became of it.  

Respected Contributor

My high school class ring was 10K gold.  I got lost during a move when I was in my late 20s. 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom 

$450? I say:

Sell, Sell, Sell!  $$$$$

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Yes, I still have my high school ring sitting in my jewelry stand. Silver with aquamarine stone. Didn't want a college ring.

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

I have mine packed away.  But would like to know the value of it.  I bought it in my sophomore year. 1977. I think it was around $32 dollars.  Solid gold. Have you kept yours?

@lynnie61 

I saw no value in getting a HS ring. Instead of getting a “college” ring, I bought myself a nice ring with my birthstone and diamonds when I graduated. I still have that ring and still love it. I’d never have worn a real class ring. 

Respected Contributor

My HS ring in 1973 was 10K gold with a black onyx stone...had the schools initials in gold on the stone. It was a scaled down version of the boys' rings, so not very feminine. We had no other choices then. I wore it for 3 days, then my boyfriend (now DH) wore it on his pinky for next 2 years til we married--I wore his until he gave me an engagement ring. I didn't go to college.

No kids to pass it along to, so I gave it to my best friend's daughter when she turned 16--she went to the same HS, and was very much into the school experience, unlike me! She never wore it that I know of, but she was tickled with it and it's a memory of me, her "almost-aunt". 

My DH still wears his college ring, and always will...says he worked hard for that ring! His HS ring was melted down and made into a dome ring for his mother, who had lost her other one. She had the stone set into a pendant for me (that eventually went to my best friend's 2nd daughter when she turned 16). When my MIL had the ring made, I asked her if she would leave it to me some day, since I had worn it in it's original form for so long. Well, she ended up giving it to me for my 40th birthday! I cherish that ring, and still wear it often--24 years later.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut , lol yes tempting!  I remember $50 was a lot of money especially to a university student.  My father bought it for me so it’s kind of special.  Next time gold prices take a good hike, I should hit the gold buyers.  I don’t wear a lot of jewellery anymore.  Not a good idea for the swimming pool or the garden is it?  LM

Regular Contributor

Had mine made into another style ring and wear it every day. Ruby stone I  did not want  so  I sold  it to the jewler and we were both happy. people ask me all time about the gold ring I wear to be shocked its my high school ring.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie, we were hippies together, graduated the same year. Our ring was hideous, so never bought it.