Super Contributor

Re: Do you send holiday cards? Why?

On 12/17/2014 docsgirl said:
On 12/17/2014 RainCityGirl said:

I just sent the last of mine yesterday. I send them mainly because I am a card maker and I love to send my designs. I usually include a newsletter for those I haven't heard from in a long time. However, my closest friends still get my cards even though I see them all the time. It's getting more and more expensive to send them, though, and many of my designs require two stamps because they are dimensional and won't fit through the regular slot the post office measures them by.

Rain,

Like you, I'm a card maker and love to send my creations. I always include a personal note. Mine, too, always require extra postage but I'm proud of the cards and feel they are worth the time and effort that goes into making something special for the special people in my life. My friends always look forward to receiving my cards and some say they are a gift unto their own. Their appreciation brings joy to my heart. I donated a basket of my hand made cards for a local fundraiser. If I could do nothing but make cards all day, every day I'd be a happy camper. A joyous and blessed Christmas to you and yours. docsgirl

Yes, you are a TRUE card making devotee. It's really fun to see how a concept turns out in the end. Some of my friends use my cards at Christmas as part of the decorations. One elderly friend with whom I used to work gets my cards year round. She save them all on a bulletin board, which she refers to as the memorial card board. Warm wishes back at you for a great holiday season.

Respected Contributor

On 12/17/2014 qualitygal said:
On 12/17/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Yes, I mail out Christmas and Holiday cards to various people. Some cards I put in a personal note.

I even hand write the envelope addresses (which lately is becoming a lost art due to those computer generated address label programs people use.)

That reminds me, I need to get back to practicing my calligraphy! I write on the cards and envelopes too.

One of the things I'd like to do in 2015 is learn calligraphy. I have seen online so many people who have taken the time to hand address their Christmas Cards using calligraphy. It's beautiful. I also wonder if it bothers people who make cards that many trash them so soon after receipt. That is one of the reasons I never got into card making because many simply do not appreciate the art. One year I took s lot of time to make custom made gift tags for all my pkgs and not one person commented on them, needless to say first and last time I did that.
Super Contributor

I am down to 25. A lot of people don't send them anymore. My list gets smaller every year. My daughter now writes them out for me the last few years. I really can't be bothered anymore.

Super Contributor

Haven't sent them in awhile but did this year because we moved and I wanted to touch base with a few friends and give them the new address. I like receiving cards and realized that I had gotten lazy. Now that I am retired, I started up again beginning with this year.

Trusted Contributor

I sent out about 20 cards because I enjoy sending them. I also like receiving them, but so far I've only gotten 2 cards. Sadly, I suppose it is a dying tradition. I'll keep on sending them, anyhow. I know my elderly relatives especially enjoy receiving them. I always hand address them and include a personal note.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Respected Contributor

Yes, I honestly don't know why I bother. It costs me a small fortune and it seems I'm the only one that appreciates getting them anymore. I've sent the same theme card since I was 12 and people always seem excited to see if I'll "pull it off" again each year, so I feel somewhat obligated. I guess I don't want to disappoint those folks.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Frequent Contributor

That is so thoughtful Smiley Happy I've kinda struggled with this the last few years. I always handpick my cards, getting ones that are really pretty but I guess the problem is that I've always just signed them or written something really generic. Because I've been getting fewer and fewer back. I really love that you put so much thought into it Smiley Happy
On 12/17/2014 RedTop said: Sending Christmas cards is a very special part of my holiday plans. I mailed 85 cards this year, and NO ONE receives a card from me without a personal note inside; I cannot just sign my name to any kind of card and drop it in the mail. The majority of my cards are sent out of state to family and friends I never see. I have received close to 50 cards so far, and the most touching one came from my 1st grade teacher, who is now 93 years old. No e-card is going to give me the warm fuzzy feeling that her card gives me. I certainly understand the reasons others no longer send cards, or why they have cut back on the number of cards they send, but until I am severely impacted financially, or no longer have people to send cards to, I will be doing my very best to keep this tradition alive.
Esteemed Contributor

I still send them out every year. Christmas preparation doesn't even feel complete to me unless I have sent out cards.

I think many people still appreciate getting an actual real live card in the mail. I hope so anyway. I know I love getting them. It tells me someone thought enough of me to take the time to send me a card, instead of shooting an email or FB hello (although I like those too, make no mistake).

A card is just something "extra" to me.

I guess I just enjoy doing it and it's the way I was brought up. Smiley Happy

I realize the practice is dwindling and going the way of the dinosaur quickly due to email, etc., but I still like doing it.

I don't get as many cards in return as I used to, but that is ok. I like the ones I do get.