Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,042
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?


@KKali wrote:

No, but how are you?  Does the 32 mean the 32nd mellie? Smiley Very Happy


Haha.  That'd be funny.  No, I believe the 32 means I was 32 years old when I created this account.  Smiley Happy

 

I'm great.  How are you?  

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,054
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Do you say "these ones"?

NO - POOR grammar. Saying "these" or "those" without "ones" is correct.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,287
Registered: ‎01-24-2013

Re: Do you say "these ones"?

no
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,334
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/06/is-these-ones-legit.html

 

The Grammarphobia Blog
Is “these ones” legit?

Q: We live in Iowa and we’re bothered when we hear people say “these ones,” as in “Do you want these ones?” or “These ones are for sale.” Is this acceptable English?

A: Let’s begin by looking at the singular version: “this one.”

The main part (or head) of the phrase is “one” (an indefinite pronoun, not the number 1), modified by “this” (a demonstrative adjective). Together they form a noun phrase: “I like this one.”

Logically, the plural form of this noun phrase would be “these ones.” And logically, we can’t see any reason why this would be grammatically incorrect. “Which ones do I like? I like these ones.”

The chief argument against “these ones” is that “these” alone would suffice (“I like these”). But the same objection could be made against the singular form: Instead of “I like this one,” you could simply say “I like this.” So that argument isn’t convincing.

Now, we have to admit that to our ears “these ones” sounds like a childish usage. We never say or write “these ones” (or “those ones”). But our prejudice against it doesn’t make it grammatically incorrect.

The linguist Arnold Zwicky, writing on the Language Log, says that apparently the use of “these ones” is widespread in Britain, where it’s not considered odd or nonstandard at all.

The situation is less clear in our neck of the woods. Is it acceptable in the US or not?

Educated users of the language seem to differ, and your opinion many depend on where you grew up, according to Zwicky.

”It’s possible that in North America these/those ones’ is a variant in the gray area between standard and nonstandard – fully acceptable to educated middle-class speakers in some areas, but not fully acceptable, though not actually stigmatized, to such people in other areas,” he writes.

Like many questions of English usage, this one has a fuzzy answer. We can’t find any evidence that “these ones” is grammatically incorrect. The only reason to discourage it is that many – perhaps most – Americans find it objectionable.

 

 

I am not bothered by it.

 

The incorrect use of "I" and "me" is far more annoying to me.  People frequently complain that people say "me" when they should say "I," but I am far more annoyed when people say "I" when they should say "me." 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,045
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?

Sure...right after I put shoes on my "feets.".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,042
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?


@croemer wrote:

Sure...right after I put shoes on my "feets.".


Heya croe!  Your ears must've been burning.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,045
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?


@Mellie32 wrote:

@croemer wrote:

Sure...right after I put shoes on my "feets.".


Heya croe!  Your ears must've been burning.  Smiley Happy


Well my "feets" are.Smiley Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,415
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?


@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

 


@GingerPeach wrote:

@KKali wrote:

No, but how are you?  Does the 32 mean the 32nd mellie? Smiley Very Happy


She isn't likely to see your post unless you include a notification, like this: @Mellie32

@KKali


How do you know she won't see the post without the notification? She has been back here numerous times.


I said she "isn't likely" to see the post.  I didn't say she definitely "won't" see it.  

 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,010
Registered: ‎08-29-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?

'This' and 'one' are each singular words.  'These' is plural.  Is 'ones' supposed to mean two?  How can that be correct? 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,494
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Do you say "these ones"?


@IamMrsG wrote:

beach-mom wrote, in part:  
When I try to say "cavalry," somehow it always comes out "Calvary." I just can't get those two straight, and I DO get teased a lot about it! Smiley Wink

 

@beach-mom  I suppose it depends on whether you are calling for the military or Jesus.  Woman Wink


@IamMrsG - LOL! I can't say either one without putting the "L" in! Maybe one of these days! Smiley LOL