Honored Contributor

Re: Do you say "these ones"?

@beach-mom wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Luckily, I do not...I know a woman who says "ax" instead of ask...makes me cringe and I want to say it's asK, with a K!

This is regional and ethnic usage. I hear it a lot, and it doesn't bother me. I know some people who have worked on getting the pronunciation right, but others try and just can't. One of the teachers I once worked with said "ax." She taught English too. She would catch herself and try to correct it. She was a good friend, and we all loved her. 

"THESE ONES" does bother me. I also hear "these ones here." **shudder**

Then you have me - When I try to say "cavalry," somehow it always comes out "Calvary." I just can't get those two straight, and I DO get teased a lot about it! Smiley Wink

That explains a lot.

Honored Contributor

Reminds me of my fav accent.....Chicagoan.....dis and dat one dare....hahaha!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Luckily, I do not...I know a woman who says "ax" instead of ask...makes me cringe and I want to say it's asK, with a K!

This is regional and ethnic usage. I hear it a lot, and it doesn't bother me. I know some people who have worked on getting the pronunciation right, but others try and just can't. One of the teachers I once worked with said "ax." She taught English too. She would catch herself and try to correct it. She was a good friend, and we all loved her. 

Then you have me - When I try to say "cavalry," somehow it always comes out "Calvary." I just can't get those two straight, and I DO get teased a lot about itSmiley Wink

@beach-mom LOL!  That reminded me of my Dad.  He always struggled with Toyota.  It came out sounding sort of like Tyoty.  He also pronounced bulbs as "bubs."  Definitely regional (TX) Woman LOL  I spent many years working in a military environment & heard many different accents & ways of pronouncing words.  I learned to appreciate the cultural influences in the various parts of this wonderful USA that create all those interesting ways of pronouncing words.

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

@beach-mom LOL!  That reminded me of my Dad.  He always struggled with Toyota.  It came out sounding sort of like Tyoty.  He also pronounced bulbs as "bubs."  Definitely regional (TX) Woman LOL  I spent many years working in a military environment & heard many different accents & ways of pronouncing words.  I learned to appreciate the cultural influences in the various parts of this wonderful USA that create all those interesting ways of pronouncing words.

@DoneTryin - Your dad sounds like my mom. Maybe that's where I get it from. She was well known for mixing up names. When I was a young girl, we had a "Save-a-lot" drug store near us. Mom always said, "I'm going to Sail-Away"! - maybe because we lived on the water?? My brother and I would just look at each other and laugh. So did she! Brings back happy memories! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Warsh instead of wash.......ruff instead of roof......fridgerator instead of refrigerator......all lovingly pronounced by my family...

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Then you have me - When I try to say "cavalry," somehow it always comes out "Calvary." I just can't get those two straight, and I DO get teased a lot about it! Smiley Wink

*Hides*

LOL, I hear and use it.   Not losing much sleep over it either.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I don't say that.

There are others that just set my teeth on edge -  "I seen" and "me and so and so are" instead of So and so and I are and using guyses for guys. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Only if I've been drinking. Smiley Wink

So in other words, yes.  Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good one. Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

I don't but I can generally understand what those who do say it mean. It is not an issue.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

beach-mom wrote, in part:  
When I try to say "cavalry," somehow it always comes out "Calvary." I just can't get those two straight, and I DO get teased a lot about it! Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  I suppose it depends on whether you are calling for the military or Jesus.  Woman Wink

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.