Super Contributor

Re: Do you remember your first love and still think about it? Did you marry that person?

So funny this post would come up today....

I thought about my first love many times over the years (we were high school sweethearts) - I moved away and eventually I broke up with him.  We both married others and then, in the 80's, we reconnected through a series of interesting coincidences.

We re-met in 1985 and were together ever since.  He passed away last week after several years of poor health. 

Today we are finalizing plans for his funeral.  He was indeed my first and last love and I was his.  I miss him.

Sunny

Super Contributor

Re: Do you remember your first love and still think about it? Did you marry that person?

My first serious boyfriend was a guy I met at a Jewish dance. He wasn't even Jewish. After meeting, I saw him at the community college we both attended. We dated for about 1 1/2 years and then he moved out of state to attend a different college. We wrote to each other for awhile and then he stopped writing and calling. I called his mother to see if he was OK and she told me that he had gotten married. I don't know if she was telling me the truth b/c she didn't like me. I was devastated and mad at the same time b/c he was too much of a wuss to tell me he was dumping me. I'm glad things didn't work out after all b/c I've been married to my husband for 35 years now and love him dearly.
Respected Contributor

I definitely remember and occasionally have dreams about him.  Did not marry him...I was very young and stupid.  Love when you were very young seemed so intense and dramatic. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I definitely remember and occasionally have dreams about him.  Did not marry him...I was very young and stupid.  Love when you were very young seemed so intense and dramatic. 

Yes, I agree that first young love is very intense.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I don't think it is healthy to sit around thinking about past boyfriends and wondering about them or what ifs. It is much better to live in reality.

Garth Brooks used to have a song out about unanswered prayers and how past lovers are not what they seemed at the time. There was some reason that you two quit seeing each other back then.

One of my brothers dated the same girl for about 3 years in high school.She was really into smothering him and he cheated on her all the time,. Eventually my Mom made him stop seeing her because it wasn't fair to her that he was also seeing all these other girls. About 2 years ago she sent me a private FB message telling me her DH had died and she wanted me to hook her up with my brother again. This brother has been married and divorced 7 times and also has been in jail for bigamy and for stealing someones checkbook and writing checks. I explained all this to her but she wanted to talk to him so I gave her his cell #. She called, eventually they were living together and he was draining all her $$$. I felt so bad for her. As luck would have it he got sick and died, which was a good thing for her or she would have been bankrupted. Now she has attached herself to my other brother , who is married and this attachment is purely one sided. Clearly this woman has some psych issues and probably had them even back in HS.

You've told us many times you married your high school boy friend after your first husband died.  Apparently one or both of you were thinking about past a past boyfriend or girlfriend.

Yes, and I also said when my husband died my old boyfriend was there for me, as my friend, when I needed him. He is a good person who would be there for any good friend and so was there for me. Helped me find a car, helped me move after I sold my house, hel[ped me move DH's personal belongings out after I closed his business, things like that. I never had to wonder about what became of him because we always had many mutual friends and I would see him at parties etc often. It was several years between when my first husband died and my current husband and I became romantically involved again. It's not like we were sitting arounds pining for each other while I was married .

Honored Contributor

Yes I do.  And I always remember him with sadness.  He lived in my neighborhood and his parents were friends with mind.  He was a couple of years older (3) and when I was 12, he was the world to me. He always treated me as a little sister.  Only my mother knew about my crush on him. He went away to college, became a respected surgeon.  He married.  Then about 2 years later....he committed suicide. I will never know why he did.  Nobody (to this day) will talk about him.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I   remember him, because of being stupid enough to fall for him and no- I didn't marry him.  I married someone even worse !Woman Mad 

Much has changed- and I am now with "the love of my life " and finally happy !

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

I do still think of him and smile; he died in a car accident during his senior year of high school.  

Honored Contributor

How funny that this topic came up because I was just thinking recently HOW LUCKY I was to break off with my first love.  I would have been miserable married to him.  We dated for four years and were engaged and it was extremely difficult to break up with him, but I knew I had to.... and that year I met my real true love.  Been married for over 35 years....  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Embarrassed Dog Cringes At The Thought Of Its Past Mistakes