Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember penny candy?

I remember 2 for a penny candy.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ohh, red hot dollars, jujubees, mexican hats, swedish fish, mary janes, squirell nut zippers.  I used to love penny candy.  Out store sold "loosies" also, cigarettes for the bad kids also a penny!!  Thanks for the memories!  Oh Indian head pumpkin seeds, wax lips, coke bottles, chico stix, rootbeer barrells, and my mothers favorite, good and plenty (blech)

Many have come and gone, but they all left paw prints on my heart
Trusted Contributor

You can still buy the original Bonomo Turkish Taffy at Vermont Country Store or Cracker Barrel. They both have all of the original flavored. Yummy!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@QVCkitty1 They stopped making turkish taffy some years back

Oh no they didn't.  I still buy Bonomo's Turkish taffy. I still wack it and crack it.  It used to sell for a nickel.

Penny candy is still available,it's just not a penny anymore.

i love coconut watermelon slices and squirrel nut zippers the best.

There is a store near where I live that still sells almost everything from my childhood, by the pound.

Respected Contributor

I just gained 10 pounds reading this thread, but I have a smile on my face!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Thanks for taking me back home. Besides the small store, My big deal, block or so away Bay View Dairy, I would treat myself to small chocolate milk. We also had dairy products and butter delivered. Not only box outside, Grandparents large home icebox built in the outside wall. I am grateful to have these and more memories. Times long gone, Yet, Fresh today. Thanks again. 😍🍡🍭🍬
Trusted Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

OH gosh yes.....thanks for the memories. I remember pop rocks and those candies that fizzed too LOL. With the wax soda botles, lips etc I chewed and spit the wax out eventually. Did anyone swallow the wax? LOL

No, I never swallowed the wax, but I loved chewing it as if it were gum! Smiley Very Happy

I loved those cigar gums, that someone posted upthread. Those were great. I think that the yellow ones were banana-flavored, if I remember correctly.

My maternal Gramma used to bring a lot of this penny candy home for my sister and I when we were little. We used to live with her.

I don't know if there was a neighborhood store in the neighborhood where she worked. I am thinking that there probably was, because she brought penny candy home for us regularly--many of the types that were already mentioned. 

My favorites were the candy cigarettes and the wax milk bottles with the flavored liquids in them. I also loved chocolate cigarettes, and chiclets, too. She also bought the gold nugget gum for us, and Beechnut gum. I loved all of that stuff.

I was always chewing gum when I was a kid.

I remember my Mom trying to get me to chew sugarless gum at one point, I was chewing so much gum, back then.

Respected Contributor

Oh, such nice memories!

It was always a treat to go to the little store on the next block from my elementary school.  

I loved how they put the candy in that little brown bag as you were making your "thoughtful" purchases. 

Does anyone remember the candy lipstick?  That was my favorite.  It was not the wax lips but a dark pink chalky candy wrapped in gold foil.  After you licked it, you could put it on your lips...it made great color and it tasted good too.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Contributor

HI...just wanted to say If you live near a Cracker Barrel restaurant in their general store section you can find bonamo Turkish taffy...vanilla, chocolate, banana or strawberry...loved to crack it against something and enjoy the small pieces...root beer barrels were so good too.

Valued Contributor

Absolutey right about Turkish Taffy! In 2010 demand surged and it was brought back!!!!  (Not sure what that says about me that I know that!  I, too loved T.T. - Vanilla - and cracking it was nearly as much fun as "copying" Bazooka Bubblegum comics with Silly Putty!!! 😜)