Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember Yule log burning

It's been on my TV for hours, channel 11, WPIX, we are enjoying the music! Thanks for posting the memory,

Merry Christmas GIFs - 64 Beautiful Animated Greeting Cards

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

They were airing that here this morning on one of my channels.

It was Antenna tv this morningSmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen @haddon9 I lived near Woodhaven Blvd. and Jamaica Ave. from the mid 50's till the late 70's.

Used to love hanging out at Forest Park..Do you remember the live pony rides?..  Jahn's ice cream store next to the movie house? Then we moved not too far from JFK airport.

My parents owned a couple of businesses and I had a Gold Crown Hallmark Store..until the mid-90's..Then 200 miles away..I miss the city at times.It's so boring here..LOL

I used to take Trailways down for a long time to visit..then my health  would no longer alow it.

My childhood home sold for a small fortune..and so did the home near the airporrt..

Thanks for the trip down memory lane today!

Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

@Othereeeen @haddon9 I lived near Woodhaven Blvd. and Jamaica Ave. from the mid 50's till the late 70's.

Used to love hanging out at Forest Park..Do you remember the live pony rides?..  Jahn's ice cream store next to the movie house? Then we moved not too far from JFK airport.

My parents owned a couple of businesses and I had a Gold Crown Hallmark Store..until the mid-90's..Then 200 miles away..I miss the city at times.It's so boring here..LOL

I used to take Trailways down for a long time to visit..then my health  would no longer alow it.

My childhood home sold for a small fortune..and so did the home near the airporrt..

Thanks for the trip down memory lane today!

@Jo1313 @Othereeeen @haddon9   My husband is from Woodhaven and our close friends are from and still live in Richmond Hill.

Esteemed Contributor

DH had an icon on his Iphone that looked just like that yule log.

Honored Contributor

I watched this show also!  I believe I have an old tape which has a yule log and also other scenic Christmas views that you can watch and just pretend that you are there!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

YES!!! I DO remember Jahns!!!

Gonna talk to my sister later ( we live way apart) and we'll probably go down memory lane..

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday no matter where they're from or where they ended up!!!

Til next year!!!

Valued Contributor

Yes, I absolutely do remember and grew up watching it. As a matter of fact, PIX in NY still does it.  I had it on for several hours yesterday.  As goofy as it is, it's still a tradition with us.  

Respected Contributor

LOVE the yule log.  One of our favorite traditions.  Always tune in after returning home from a Christmas Eve family gathering.   The Gracie Mansion version brings back nice childhood memories.  The one with the pets is another favorite.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

@haddon9 @Jo1313 

Gee maybe we ALL went to Forest Park and  remember the carousel that burnt down...or Myrtle Avenue to shop at Lerners......or maybe to PS 113 or Richmond Hill High School.....We left high school in NY when I was in tenth grade, and where we moved to ( my Mom was trying to get us out of the City....she meant well....) the schools were covering what WE were learning in about 8th grade. !!!  I rode a NY City bus to school, with a bus pass,  and the kids in my new school took the yellow school bus like little kids...

Small world...I am remembering today because I now live alone and was looking at pictures...

You Tube has a TON of walking and driving tour videos of the "old neighborhoods" you can look up by area or address.....

O the olden days....sometimes I want to go back....

@Othereeeen I went to PS 18 when we lived in Queens and PS 152 in Brooklyn.  When I looked it up online PS 152 is now a magnet science school.  I remember Brooklyn more than Queens since I was there longer. 

We only lived in Queens for less than 2 years.  My dad worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and they closed it down so we moved to NJ and he got a job at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

I'm still not too far in Bucks Co., PA but have not been back to either Brooklyn or Queens for decades!  Before Covid I would go into the city a few times a year.