Esteemed Contributor

Do you remember Yule log burning

Was watching a Christmas program on TV  and they had a segment mentioning that in 1966 WPIX in Ny  began brocasting a 17 sec loop of a real fireplace with  Yule logs burning which played over and over . This became a Christmas Eve and Day tradition which spread across the country on many TV stations.  In the 1990's you could buy a video of the Yule log burning . To this day , there are many versions of the Yule log burning that one can view .

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you remember Yule log burning

[ Edited ]

I DO remember that!

We lived in Glendale Queens from 1965 to 1972, in a single family house off Woodhaven Blvd and 88th Street on Union Turnpike. It was two lanes each direction with a tree line in the center of the street.

My grandparents bought that house in 1931, right after it was built. My mom, sis and I moved there in 1965 after my parent divorced. I LOVED that house and area, and when my grandmother sold it in 1972, we were crushed. We all moved away from the city, which in the 1970s was in serious decline...

I recently looked up the address and WOW--the PRICES are insane!! !!The street STILL looks very nice, and I'm glad to see people have kept it up. Of course, for the home values, you would have to....

My Dad, when he visited us, took us to view the first 747's landing at JFK,from a viewing area across Jamaica Bay. He also took us to see the World Trade Center being built as it went up. He was an engineer who was fascinated by these accomplishments...

Both those wonders ( the 747 and the WTC)  are now gone forever.

The Yule Log on WPIX or WOR I DO recall....also...at the time, the soap opera Dark Shadows was on TV and everyone was crazy about that show!!! (Kids anyway!)

Thanks for the reminder. ALL my parents and grandparents are gone now....so it's fun to think back!!!

I have pictures of family gathered around that NYC dinner table in the 1960s at Christmas and all the men are wearing suits and the ladies are dressed like June Cleaver....and we kids had to dress too!!!

Valued Contributor

Certainly do! We had better TV shows and only a few channels..

METV..had the Yule log last night..it was at the bottom part of the regular TV show screen

Honored Contributor

I have a DVD of logs burning in a fireplace, but haven't viewed it in years.  I guess I should get it out.  Or start a real fire in the fireplace - but that's too much work.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For anyone interested, QVC has its own Yule Log video streaming on all its streaming channels.  They've had the Yule Log up since last month.  

Respected Contributor

They were airing that here this morning on one of my channels.

Valued Contributor

@Othereeeen ..I was originally from close by the area where you were from.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

For anyone interested, QVC has its own Yule Log video streaming on all its streaming channels.  They've had the Yule Log up since last month.  

Thank you, I found it.  Very nice!

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen I lived in Queens when I was in 4th & 5th grade in 1963-1965 (Brooklyn before that) and we were near Alley Pond Park.  It was a small single family home and when I looked up the prices recently I was amazed at the costs!

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 @Jo1313 

Gee maybe we ALL went to Forest Park and  remember the carousel that burnt down...or Myrtle Avenue to shop at Lerners......or maybe to PS 113 or Richmond Hill High School.....We left high school in NY when I was in tenth grade, and where we moved to ( my Mom was trying to get us out of the City....she meant well....) the schools were covering what WE were learning in about 8th grade. !!!  I rode a NY City bus to school, with a bus pass,  and the kids in my new school took the yellow school bus like little kids...

Small world...I am remembering today because I now live alone and was looking at pictures...

You Tube has a TON of walking and driving tour videos of the "old neighborhoods" you can look up by area or address.....

O the olden days....sometimes I want to go back....