Honored Contributor

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

No, I don't remember clothes like that from the mid '80s. My clothes back then were more of that era with big shirts and stirrup leggings. No dresses at all.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@sidsmomI too don't remember that catalog but would not have worn ankle length dresses or skirts but thanks for the blast from the past.  I think I'll take a look at jjill site and see what they're selling these days.  Haven't been lately. 

Unfortunately, their wares of today are very generic.

I can’t help but think, pre Internet, every region had their ‘style.’

The brand Units was a big deal in the Dallas area, as well.

And yes, I rocked those crazy outfits...as well! Ha

I took a look around.  Many things are sold out from their sale but I did find a couple of tops in petites in my size.  Got 30% off.  Thanks for reminding me of that place. Woman Very Happy   Now, will take a look at J peterman, don't think I know them.  @sidsmom

Honored Contributor

i dont remember JJILL 1985 at all and that was so NOT my style in those days. i do like JJILL now though!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirlthat is interesting.

the JJILL wearever line is my favorite line of theirs and i never have any problems with them pilling from washing or wearing a seat belt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Just got back from the J Peterman site.  Very colorful and pretty dresses but I need to see what it looks like on a person.  No pictures, no videos, no reviews and no can do.  As we all know, an artist's rendering can look very different from the item close up and personal.

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Does anyone remember J.Jill, circa 1985?

Their mid-80s line had flowy, conservative designs made of natural cotton material w/ a thicker hand.  And their catalog was illustration only.

Their contemporary line today is, at times, hard to describe.  Talbots meets J. Crew meets Chico’s meets...you get the drift.  J. Jill is mentioned on these boards from time to time...and I always think “J.Jill Circa 1985” which is a total ‘180’ from the J.Jill currently mentioned.

I had several dresses & suits from J.Jill in late 80’s. Their ‘lady-like’ design was still riding the Lady/Princess Diana wave, especially with Liberty of London prints...so pretty.  Of course, I had to have Crabtree & Evelyn bath items, as well, but that’s another thread.

I really had to look long & hard to find these pictures of their old catalog/designs. I fell down the ‘rabbit hole’ looking for this illustrated catalog! Just like I remembered.

So when someone says, ‘I like J.Jill’....I immediately think 1985 J.Jill.
Funny.  Good memories.

Do you remember the 1985 illustrated J. Jill catalog?

7E76D65D-6554-496E-87CC-A7ADE154741A.jpeg

Wow, oh wow!  I remember the Aunt Abigail's Attic catalog. I ordered a skirt from it. I had just started working at my first full-time job. I didn't have a lot of money. The skirt was expensive. When it arrived it was atrocious. Skimpy piece of cheap cotton sewed to a wide band stiff with interfacing. I sent it back and vowed to never again buy anything from a catalog that lacked photos and instead relied upon drawings.

I didn't know that was J.Jill. I love J.Jill and have spent too much in their stores over the years.

Thanks for posting this, Sidsmom!

Honored Contributor

We have a outlet at kittery, always when i have stopped by ,they are busy.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

If it weren't for the big, poofy shoulders on the sleeves, I kind of like the top right dress!

Honored Contributor

Sometimes i see jane tracey wearing that type of dresses,and she looks really nice in them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

Wow, oh wow!  I remember the Aunt Abigail's Attic catalog. I ordered a skirt from it. I had just started working at my first full-time job. I didn't have a lot of money. The skirt was expensive. When it arrived it was atrocious. Skimpy piece of cheap cotton sewed to a wide band stiff with interfacing. I sent it back and vowed to never again buy anything from a catalog that lacked photos and instead relied upon drawings.

@AuntMame

That’s cool you remember the original J.Jill!

Unfortunately they’re not good memories 🙁.

’Skimpy’ would never be a word I would use to describe the J.Jill I knew.  

In fact it leaned on the side of too thick. At the time my sister sewed...and she thought she could re-create the looks for me w/ less volume in the skirts. We priced out Liberty of London fabric, but it was too $$ to make.

What was Aunt Abigail’s Attic? Was it a store like Vermont Country Store?