Honored Contributor

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

@SahmIam wrote:

Wow. Laura Ashley meets Little House on the Prairie.

I had a highschool teacher that ONLY wore Laura Ashley/the Laura Ashley look. She was in her 40s wearing garments like that including the Mary Jane shoes, the sheep sweaters, everything. The look suited her too, which is funny when I think back about that. On another teacher, it would have been a costume.

Wonder if Ms. Hunt shopped at J. Jill back then?

Giggle.

Yeah, it was very conservative, but then again, I was in Dallas at the time. I believe everyone fancied themselves as a mix of Pamela Ewing, Suzanne Sugarbaker & Lady Diana. 😄

Everyone wore this style....Harold’s store near SMU was filled w/ this type of clothing.  No one wore slacks or pants to work.  Everyone wore long skirts, Majorica pearls, Ferragamo shoes & Coach purses....it was the work uniform!  

Gad...I still have that same Coach purse!

97D5EAB3-48F7-4CFF-ADE5-D55D7755074D.jpeg8EE94133-D1D4-4F37-9BC6-EF86AC6ED7CB.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The styles look very english, a few of them i can see someone wearing now,bet they were made well.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmomI too don't remember that catalog but would not have worn ankle length dresses or skirts but thanks for the blast from the past.  I think I'll take a look at jjill site and see what they're selling these days.  Haven't been lately. 

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@sidsmomI too don't remember that catalog but would not have worn ankle length dresses or skirts but thanks for the blast from the past.  I think I'll take a look at jjill site and see what they're selling these days.  Haven't been lately. 

Unfortunately, their wares of today are very generic.

I can’t help but think, pre Internet, every region had their ‘style.’

The brand Units was a big deal in the Dallas area, as well.

And yes, I rocked those crazy outfits...as well! Ha

Honored Contributor

Are they still in business?     

I recall their catalogs ... and would go into the store and tried on a few things ...... I always looked like I was wearing someone else's clothing!

Now J Peterman ..... great catalog and great descriptions ..... I still have a couple of their things.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Are they still in business?     

I recall their catalogs ... and would go into the store and tried on a few things ...... I always looked like I was wearing someone else's clothing!

Now J Peterman ..... great catalog and great descriptions ..... I still have a couple of their things.  

My findings show Karl & Marianne Lipsky, who started J.Jill

(named after their daughters, Jennifer & Jill) back in 1959 (original store

in the Berkshires) sold their company in 1988 to DM Management...

which eventually became the J.Jill we know today.  

Trusted Contributor

Didn't know JJill existed in 1985.  Their store came to our mall in about 2002.  I purchased many of their corduroy toppers.  I still have them.

Honored Contributor

I bought jjill clothes in late 1990's.  I used to covet the artists jackets, and the skirts.  Their tees were beyond quality.  I still have one I wear every year.  I loved jjill.  Also she had great shoes.  I noticed after 2005 the tees they were so well known for were ******.  Different weave, thickness and fit.  I quit buying anything from them around 2008.

Trusted Contributor

Wow...as someone who spends a small fortune there (including today), I had no idea they  used too look like that.  I remember my first purchase from there catalog very clearly (a silk shirt I bought around the holidays) and I’m guessing that was around 1998 ish. 

Thanks for posting those pictures 

Trusted Contributor

Units were a big deal in NY / NJ then too.  The stores were in every mall .  I had many pieces.