Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

Does anyone remember J.Jill, circa 1985?

Their mid-80s line had flowy, conservative designs made of natural cotton material w/ a thicker hand.  And their catalog was illustration only.

Their contemporary line today is, at times, hard to describe.  Talbots meets J. Crew meets Chico’s meets...you get the drift.  J. Jill is mentioned on these boards from time to time...and I always think “J.Jill Circa 1985” which is a total ‘180’ from the J.Jill currently mentioned.
 
I had several dresses & suits from J.Jill in late 80’s. Their ‘lady-like’ design was still riding the Lady/Princess Diana wave, especially with Liberty of London prints...so pretty.  Of course, I had to have Crabtree & Evelyn bath items, as well, but that’s another thread.
 
I really had to look long & hard to find these pictures of their old catalog/designs. I fell down the ‘rabbit hole’ looking for this illustrated catalog! Just like I remembered.
 
So when someone says, ‘I like J.Jill’....I immediately think 1985 J.Jill.
Funny.  Good memories.
 
Do you remember the 1985 illustrated J. Jill catalog?
 
7E76D65D-6554-496E-87CC-A7ADE154741A.jpeg
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,669
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

No. I don’t remember. Looking at the photos you posted not my style at all.

I liked J Jill about 15 years ago. Mainly sweaters.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,178
Registered: ‎01-02-2011

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

[ Edited ]

Wow.  I don’t remember the company back then at all.  What a change from their scaled down offerings now.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,356
Registered: ‎01-03-2012

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

I do not remember the catalog!  I like JJill, but their Wearever material is not seatbelt friendly.  I get these little pills the first time I wear these garments.  They take them back. They are fully aware of the lack of quality.  The store told me.  I miss the 80’s dresses and suits. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,746
Registered: ‎01-19-2015

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

I don't remember this. The drawings are very quaint, and remind me of the J. Peterman catalog's style.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,949
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~


@GSPgirl wrote:

I do not remember the catalog!  I like JJill, but their Wearever material is not seatbelt friendly.  I get these little pills the first time I wear these garments.  They take them back. They are fully aware of the lack of quality.  The store told me.  I miss the 80’s dresses and suits. 


 

 

@GSPgirl- I have several of the Wearever tops. I haven’t had any trouble with pilling at all. I drive every day. 


Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,178
Registered: ‎01-02-2011

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~


@gidgetgh wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

I do not remember the catalog!  I like JJill, but their Wearever material is not seatbelt friendly.  I get these little pills the first time I wear these garments.  They take them back. They are fully aware of the lack of quality.  The store told me.  I miss the 80’s dresses and suits. 


 

 

@GSPgirl- I have several of the Wearever tops. I haven’t had any trouble with pilling at all. I drive every day. 


I don’t get pilling with my tops either.l

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,163
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~


@bikerbabe wrote:
No. I don’t remember. Looking at the photos you posted not my style at all.

I liked J Jill about 15 years ago. Mainly sweaters.

 

 

Same here.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,139
Registered: ‎04-16-2010

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~

Wow. Laura Ashley meets Little House on the Prairie.

 

I had a highschool teacher that ONLY wore Laura Ashley/the Laura Ashley look. She was in her 40s wearing garments like that including the Mary Jane shoes, the sheep sweaters, everything. The look suited her too, which is funny when I think back about that. On another teacher, it would have been a costume.

 

Wonder if Ms. Hunt shopped at J. Jill back then?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,163
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: 🤔Do you remember? J.Jill 1985~


@handygal2 wrote:

I don't remember this. The drawings are very quaint, and remind me of the J. Peterman catalog's style.


 

And the Vermont Country Store.