Honored Contributor

Re: Do you recall pay toilets?

Yup........and I even remember TV sets with a quarter meter on them

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

DesertDi, please tell me about the television....I remember, for whatever reason, my grandmother held onto her first tv: it had a tiny screen and was housed in a huge cabinet with what I think was a huge cloth covering over a speaker.....

Elders frequently recounted stories about their first tv's: they were even excited about seeing test patterns!  Until regular shows came on, my mother told me she would keep the test pattern on in hopes of seeing.....anything!

Other than the vaguest memory of a tv in a hotel room with a meter, I don't recall any conversations about meters....

Poodlepet2

Super Contributor

The town of Julian, CA still has pay toilets.  The bathrooms are in a small building behind some of the businesses on the main street.  The doors are full length so there is no way to crawl under or over the door.  I was there 2 years ago and it was $0.25 to get in.

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

I do remember them. Speaking of toilet paper a friend went to Cuba very recently and when she came back said she would never take tp for granted any more. So if you are going to Cuba I think you should take rolls of the stuff.

interesting.....i wonder where he/she stayed?

my ex went there about 5 months ago and never mentioned a toilet paper shortage.

he said, in general, the food wasnt good at all, except for breakfast. other than that he and his friends had a great time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

DesertDi, please tell me about the television....I remember, for whatever reason, my grandmother held onto her first tv: it had a tiny screen and was housed in a huge cabinet with what I think was a huge cloth covering over a speaker.....

Elders frequently recounted stories about their first tv's: they were even excited about seeing test patterns!  Until regular shows came on, my mother told me she would keep the test pattern on in hopes of seeing.....anything!

Other than the vaguest memory of a tv in a hotel room with a meter, I don't recall any conversations about meters....

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2   Honestly, I don't remember MUCH about the tv's with the quarter meter.    I had seen some in neighbor's homes.......I think they may have been rental tv's...............I do remember the coin operated tv's in motels when my family went on vacation.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I remember being a little girl in the bathroom with my mom when she put the dime in.

Even as a little girl of 5 or so ,I remember saying this isn't right!Smiley Very Happy

Where ever it was it was a light pink and quiet bathroom.

Nobody in it but us.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

They were in mens rooms also. I think several of the old Philly department sotres (GImbels, Lits, Wanamakers, or Strawbridges) had them back in the sixties/seventies. 

Hi @gardenman,

My husband told me the same thing, when we had this conversation before. 

I remember the pay toilets in the ladies room in the department stores. 

In fact, I remember the slang expression that we had when we needed to use the restroom. We used to say, "I need to go and spend a dime!"