Honored Contributor

They are illegal now ,but you used to have to put 10 cents in a  meter ,to be able to get inside a stall

I recall Elizabeth Taylor,  talking about not having correct change at an airport, and the women taking turns holding open the door so , they didn't have to try to dig up a dime

She was married at the time, to Sen John Warner, and she got him to get a bill passed, making pay toilets in airports illegal

I tried to find something out about it on the net, and ran into a lot of  other movements ,from people getting pay toilets banned on toll roads and  such.

I wonder what cretin decided to make women pay to use the john?

I'll bet it was a man!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you recall pay toilets?

I never heard of it.  I asked my mother.  She thinks it was in the 50's.

Honored Contributor

I think it was in the 70's they were finally outlawed

Trusted Contributor

When we were in the Middle East, Jordan to be exact, we had to pay1 dollar for two squares of toilet paper.

Frequent Contributor

I never paid I always crawled under the door. Of course that was in my younger days and wouldn't dream of doing it now beause of A arthritis & 2 germs!!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I think it was in the 70's they were finally outlawed

@cherry, I remember them growing up and my parents took me into New York City. They were in the subways and even some stores.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, our local G.C. Murphy store had one!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Oh yes, in our town they were call Comfort Stations and it cost a nickle to use. There were no monitors at the CS so we kids would just crawl under the door and used the toilet for free. LOL

Respected Contributor

It cost .10 to get into the stall at Grand Central Station. Often, women would hold the doors open or prop them for other.

I had to be pretty desperate to pay up since I dont care to use facilities in large public areas.

Honored Contributor

Holding the door open for the next woman was common.  I vaguely remember my mother having me crawl under the door once to open it.  She must not have had a dime on her.