Respected Contributor

Re: Do you really want to fly? One doctor’s experience.

@CelticCrafter wrote:

He or the other passengers couldn't have been too unhappy or upset about it if they didn't ask to be let off as seats were filing.

And do what? They had no reason to believe another flight would have fewer people. 

Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I find the doctor to be a bit of a hypocrite.  If it upset him that much, why did he stay on the plane????

What would the alternative be? He had no reason to believe another flight would be any different. Driving might have been worse and more expensive if he had to rent a car, drive for days, and stay in multiple unknown hotels.

You say he's a hypocrite - does that mean you find this crowded airplane acceptable? Why are you blaming him?

Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I find the doctor to be a bit of a hypocrite.  If it upset him that much, why did he stay on the plane????

Wha??? It's not exactly easy to just say nah I'll get off this flight and hang out at the airport indefinitely. I imagine he has to get home and has in important job to get back to.

The comments here are truly bizarre.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

United, American, and Delta have also announced that they recommend masks, but will not require them on their planes.

They all routinely ask women to get off airplanes because someone deems their attire "inappropriate," but won't remove someone for endangering others. No thanks. Unless you have a medical condition that disallows it, masks should be required.

That is NOT true:

https://news.delta.com/facecoverings 

"Face coverings will be required starting in the check-in lobby and across Delta touchpoints including Delta Sky Clubs, boarding gate areas, jet bridges and on board the aircraft for the duration of the flight – except during meal service. Their use is also strongly encouraged in high-traffic areas including security lines and restrooms. People unable to keep a face covering in place, including children, are exempt."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/coronavirus-updates.jsp?from=bannerContainerA#travelrequirements 

"A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect."

https://hub.united.com/united-face-coverings-required-faqs--2645896932.html 

"We'll require travelers to wear face coverings starting May 4. We encourage you to bring your own face covering, but our customer service agents will be able to provide them if you don't have one when you board our aircraft."

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Washington (CNN Busness)Plans from several major US airlines on how to enforce their mandatory mask requirements reveal that, for the most part, they will rely on passenger cooperation rather than strict enforcement.

Separate memos obtained by CNN that American Airlines (AAL) sent to its pilots and flight attendants show that customers may be denied boarding for not wearing a mask. But once on the plane "the face covering policy will become more lenient" and "the flight attendant's role is informational, not enforcement," the pilot memo reads. It was first obtained by Reuters.

The American Airlines flight attendant memo describes how they should handle customers who don't comply with the policy: "please encourage them to comply, but do not escalate further. Likewise, if a customer is frustrated by another customer's lack of face covering, please use situational awareness to de-escalate the situation."
Like the American Airlines' policy, United (UAL) makes exceptions for a variety of reasons including medical conditions. Its policy also points to avoiding confrontation.

"If for some reason this policy causes a disturbance onboard, we've counseled our flight attendants to use their de-escalation skills, and they do have the flexibility to re-seat customers on the aircraft as needed," United said in a statement.

JetBlue (JBLU) suggests workers at airports tell customers: "To help keep us all safe, customers and crewmembers are now required to wear face coverings." The airline says there will be "challenges" to enforcing its policy.

In a nod to how charged wearing masks has become, the policy says, "Please be sensitive to the current environment -- remember to leverage our Hospitality Promises and 'Ask, Bargain & Convince' skills to de-escalate a situation with a non-compliant or frustrated customer, and use your best judgement to uphold our service standards in order to minimize disruptions. While customers failing to comply will not prompt the need for diversion or immediate removal, our inflight crewmembers should advise an airports crewmember upon arrival."

Its policy also reminds workers that they aren't allowed to make people leave the terminal for not wearing a mask.

CNN has reached out to Delta (DAL) and Southwest (LUV) as well.
The nation's airlines have all implemented policies that passengers must wear masks, following guidance from the CDC. But neither the FAA and TSA have passed policies requiring the masks as a matter of government-enforced rules.
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

What would the alternative be? He had no reason to believe another flight would be any different. Driving might have been worse and more expensive if he had to rent a car, drive for days, and stay in multiple unknown hotels.

You say he's a hypocrite - does that mean you find this crowded airplane acceptable? Why are you blaming him?

It's much easier to blame the victim in order to further your  agenda than deal with reality.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

People are going to be shocked/dismayed/disgusted and ticked off by what goes on as things begin to open up. 

So many people don't take this seriously and are in your space and in your face already. Businesses are desperate to get back at it, and they are not going to stick to the protocols for long. My husband's essential business has never closed, and they have been half ****** ing the cleaning and sanitizing, and I expect many places to be doing the same.

Now more than ever, as things open up, it really is going to be up to each of us to make the smart and right decisions for our safety. We really cannot trust others to do what is 'right' or businesses to get it 100% right either. That whole 'buyer be ware' kind of mentality needs to kick into high gear now. We all have been sitting for weeks, watching this and what it can do. Still in it for the long haul!

@Mominohio wrote:

People are going to be shocked/dismayed/disgusted and ticked off by what goes on as things begin to open up. 

So many people don't take this seriously and are in your space and in your face already. Businesses are desperate to get back at it, and they are not going to stick to the protocols for long. My husband's essential business has never closed, and they have been half ****** ing the cleaning and sanitizing, and I expect many places to be doing the same.

Now more than ever, as things open up, it really is going to be up to each of us to make the smart and right decisions for our safety. We really cannot trust others to do what is 'right' or businesses to get it 100% right either. That whole 'buyer be ware' kind of mentality needs to kick into high gear now. We all have been sitting for weeks, watching this and what it can do. Still in it for the long haul!

@Mominohio 

I just nodded my head through your post.  I think you are spot ON.

For some reason I have had this fantasy that when my business opens back up that there will be magical adherence and perfection in all things related to compliance with "recommendations".  On both sides, the workers and the clients.

I had a big wake up call yesterday during a phone call about this.  I had been having some "reality" thoughts poke their heads in for the past couple of weeks, but the conversation just slapped me right across the head.  I have to look out for myself, because things aren't going to just roll out nice and tidy.  Not even close.

I want to go back to work. I need to go back to work.   I'm just not looking forward to the "new normal" there.  I am seriously considering waiting a few weeks to see how things shake out there before I go back.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Wha??? It's not exactly easy to just say nah I'll get off this flight and hang out at the airport indefinitely. I imagine he has to get home and has in important job to get back to.

@JJsMom 

There's a lot of bizarre going on all over this board.

And, yeah, plenty of other places.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@JJsMom 

I just shake my head for the most part now and move along. I feel overwhelmed.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@JJsMom 

I just shake my head for the most part now and move along. I feel overwhelmed.

I do that frequently.  But maybe not frequently enough.