Respected Contributor

Re: Do you really think overweight people want to be shamed about it?

I don’t believe that any well-balanced person of integrity feels the need to ever scold, humiliate and shame others for any reason.

Likewise, I don’t believe such behavior benefits anyone in the long term. It may entice some who are already full of self-loathing to develop eating disorders and/or abuse of exercise in hopes of making the pain go away... A symptom of seeking inner peace from exterior sources. People pleasing, seeking popularity, trying to fit in and gain acceptance according to the current standards. 

Real and lasting change must come from within out of self-respect and a desire to enjoy the gift of life. 

Honored Contributor

Everyone should know and remember this, especially when they are feeling judgemental:

"Victims of childhood sexual abuse are far more likely to become obese adults. New research shows that early trauma is so damaging that it can disrupt a person’s entire psychology and metabolism."

"One analysis of 57,000 women found that those who experienced physical or sexual abuse as children were twice as likely to be addicted to food."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/12/sexual-abuse-victims-obesity/420186/

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

@Noel7 wrote:

Everyone should know and remember this, especially when they are feeling judgemental:

"Victims of childhood sexual abuse are far more likely to become obese adults. New research shows that early trauma is so damaging that it can disrupt a person’s entire psychology and metabolism."

"One analysis of 57,000 women found that those who experienced physical or sexual abuse as children were twice as likely to be addicted to food."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/12/sexual-abuse-victims-obesity/420186/

I am overweight and have had a weight problem most of my life, and I have NEVER been a victim of any of this!!!  Do you believe everything you read???

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Noel7

@Noel7 wrote:

I am overweight and have had a weight problem most of my life, and I have NEVER been a victim of any of this!!!  Do you believe everything you read???

Just consider yourself lucky then. Nothing in the link said that ALL women who were obese were sexually abused. It merely said that there is a link between the two. It is a coping behavior to have an eating disorder with SOME women...definitely not all.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think Megyn was saying she felt motivated by having her step-father voice warnings (at her prompting) about her weight.  I don't think she was putting down anyone or advocating that for others.  Some people do respond to this kind of thing when they are trying to diet or quit smoking or exercise or whatever.  Others don't.  I think she was just telling an off-the-cuff anecdote and trying to be self-effacing.  In this day and age where everything is fodder for claims of grievance, people piled on her.  I don't believe she meant anything at all by it.

Trusted Contributor

As a plus size, people who try and SHAME .....ME are removed from my circle.  Honest dialogue is o e thing, fat shaming and bullying is something totally unacceptable for me!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Noel7

@Noel7 wrote:

@Hooty, that's like saying that you smoked alll your life and never developed lung cancer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

NBC is now the "mommy and me" network.  Mostly women on air and mostly talk about their babies, and little newsworthy on a general basis.   They are going to out Oprah Oprah.  

I have watched about 1/3 or this woman's show once, so probably shouldn't comment, but she is far too dramatic to hold my attention.  

@Sooner

I went through the baby poo discussions a long time ago, we need more venues for intelligent women to discuss other subjects.  Thankfully, there are a lot more of us on TV/cable news lately.  It's a start.

@Noel7  People.  We need more venues for intelligent people to discuss other subjects.  I am so tired of everyone being defined by gender, race, nationality, etc.  I just want someone to talk to people about good books, world trade, new music that's not screaming pop, etc.  I don't want to be hammered with these divisive "issues" all the time.  I just want to hear something for intelligent human beings. . . that's what I'm tired of. 

Speak to me as a person. I'd like for once to hear a woman approach an hour on tv with out hearing "as a woman." I worked so hard in the 60s and 70s to be seen as just another human in the world and now that's all shot to heck. 

@Sooner

We have plenty of venues already, from Meet The Press to PBS. Unless someone has a sight problem, those programs are and always have been  male dominated.  Time to even it out.

I did not suggest anyone begin their comments with, “As a woman...”. Nor did I suggest divisive issues, so please stop putting words in my mouth.

I am tired of the continual insults to women by other women.

Those are two political programs and I am tired of that. That’s most of any programming nor. Also PBS HAS HAMMERED animal shows, worn out music acts and award shows and BBC retreads to death. 

How about something fresh fresh like upbeat book and non pop music shows and reviews?  Good discussions of tv and tech options?  Travel in the US.  Affordable short trips?  Money trends and tips?  How about a series on Facebook?  How tos and changes and pitfalls?

Not much is new and fresh and entertaining and not much is useful to the average person

Super Contributor

Oh yeah I so enjoy some jerk at work telling me I need to go to the gym and lose 50 lbs....why thank you for your unsolicited concern! Stupid advice from the filthy rich again...

Honored Contributor

Megan Kelly is a loser.  Not many people like her and I believe NBC is sorry they hired her.  No one wants to be shamed about any physical characteristic.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength