QVC Customer Care

Re: Do you really think overweight people want to be shamed about it?

Esteemed Contributor

My son has a weight problem and he is trying very hard to lose weight. During the thanksgiving holidays he overheard his boss and coworkers making jokes at his expense. He was so hurt and I as his mom wanted to hurt the boss. So no I don’t agree that they like to be shamed 

Trusted Contributor

solicited vs unsolicited are two very different things.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

This is why she was being interviewed.

First you have to recognize there’s a problem.

Second you have to find your ‘Why’.

I don’t see anyone shaming anyone else.

But I know some people will see/hear what they want to see/hear.

14095981-FB3B-44C3-91A4-11C062DB3209.jpeg

All this is is a self-promoting narcissist's photo who only cares about showing off her body. She has little to no interest in anyone else's health. She has no idea what struggles people go through to be slender. Ignorance prevails.

Honored Contributor

As a former overweight woman I say definitely not! I knew I needed to lose weight, I didn't need anyone to bring it to my attention or make me feel bad about myself by their unsolicited comments. I actually think it has the opposite effect on most people, kind of like your not going to tell me what I should do.

Honored Contributor

@onionsoup wrote:

solicited vs unsolicited are two very different things.  

Yes, and that’s the intervening variable, @puttypiesmom

Respected Contributor

@Noel7

I was referring to if a man said something like that on his  talk show in that fat shaming works.

A male talk host  revealed on his show Thursday that he used to have his  step-father fat shame him when he was gaining weight in law school 
'I said to my stepfather, "If you see me going into that kitchen one more time, you say, ‘Where you going, fat ass?’" And it works!' he said

Would he be fired?    Sorry I wasn't clearer in what I meant.  .

Honored Contributor

From Salon

But all that is beside the point, because, while they talk about it at length, neither Kelly nor Kang seem to understand what fat-shaming is and why it's a problem.

Fat-shaming has become an issue because, ultimately, it can make victims feel bad and drive them toward desperate, harmful situations when there is no reason — outside of a groundless drive to harshly enforce baseless, patriarchal normative understandings of beauty and propriety — to punish them so. To imagine that tearing people down is a helpful, powerful tool in the pursuit of perfection misses the fact that not only are some people happy and healthy just the way they are, but that abuse is a really lousy, ineffective way to lend a hand even when one is wanted.

But you knew that already. You're decent. Megyn Kelly, on the other hand, still has a ways to go.

Honored Contributor

qvcfreak wrote:

My son has a weight problem and he is trying very hard to lose weight. During the thanksgiving holidays he overheard his boss and coworkers making jokes at his expense. He was so hurt and I as his mom wanted to hurt the boss. So no I don’t agree that they like to be shamed 

Oh my goodness!  That is just horrible.   What is wrong with those people?  I'm sorry he has had to go through that and I hope he's doing well.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Why would she even share that story.  She put on weight in college and lost it.  She needed to be put down to do it.  Does she want others to follow in her footsteps.  She must have had low self esteem at the time.  I guess I don't get the point.  It isn't an inspirational story.  Kinda makes you feel sorry for her.