Honored Contributor

Re: Do you really like office-type of things?

I have a thing for stationery, note cards, pens and the like.

I am very particular about pens.  I cannot write with a cheap or freebie pen.  I like roller ball ink, and it has to feel right in my hand.  My family thinks I'm nuts.

Honored Contributor

I love Office type stuff. A trip to Office Depot, just to walk around,  thrills me, LOL.  

I have a laminator also!  One of my favorite fun gadgets.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Count me in!  We haven't been in a long time, but I used to love going in the office supply store and shopping around.  Now, most of what I need is at the supermarket, except when I need to get more expandable pocket files.  I just order them online.  I'm still old school when it comes to saving paid bills, bank statements, etc.  Just haven't wanted to go paperless.

Our kids our grown and on their own, but I still love shopping the school supplies sales - cheap spirals, purse size datebook (yes, I'm still old school with that too), pens (black, blue, and assorted gel inks), pencils, click type stick erasers, correction tape, memo pads, Post-it notes, envelopes, note cards, paper clips, staples, stickers sometimes.  My DH gets frustrated with all the spirals but I use them a lot throughout the year.  And who can pass them up when they're on sale for 10 cents?!?  I guess this all makes sense because my dad was a businessman and my friend's dad was also a businessman so we grew up playing "office".

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Like paperclips, paper, pens, pencils, stapler, desk top or office type of things?  I have a laminator which I do use now and then.  

I just wonder if others here are like me in that.  Love all that stuff.  I even use stickers to help me remember dates.  I have little paw prints for my dog's vet and groomer appts., and some doctor-type of stickers for those visits for hubs and myself.  I love doing that.

Anyone else?

@qualitygal 

Yep!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I used to love, love, love all that stuff when I was a child going to school.  Pens, pencils, notebooks.....stationary stores were among my favorite places to shop.  I had a handwriting obsession, too.  I loved changing my style of handwriting or trying to copy friends' handwriting that I thought was nice.

Somewhere along the way, I lost interest in all that.  I'll still buy it, but I don't really relish it, or do much that's nice with it.  And the irony is, the stuff available today is so much prettier and elaborate than what we had in the fifties or sixties. 

And where did those stationary stores go?  I guess they have morphed into the big Office Depots, etc., but I sort of get overwhelmed in those.

I wish I still loved those things, because I remember how much pleasure they brought me.

@blueroses47  I have often been complimented on my handwriting.  I always say it's because I used to be a perfectionist when I was in jr. high (middle school these days).  If I made one mistake and the paper looked messy, I'd start over.  That gave me a lot of writing practice...LOL  I've always appreciated nice handwriting and especially like seeing older examples.  IMO, people have gotten sloppy with their handwriting and some don't even know how to write well anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.

They're logical, practical, useful.

I appreciate the versatile genius of the simple paperclip, the physics operating in the common stapler. 

Ah...makes me smile.

Special shout out to SORTKWIK !! 

ccd9815e-5640-4267-8d8d-766d06ea9aef_1.91d164e3ab8cc002874711c195529682.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

I used to love, love, love all that stuff when I was a child going to school.  Pens, pencils, notebooks.....stationary stores were among my favorite places to shop.  I had a handwriting obsession, too.  I loved changing my style of handwriting or trying to copy friends' handwriting that I thought was nice.

Somewhere along the way, I lost interest in all that.  I'll still buy it, but I don't really relish it, or do much that's nice with it.  And the irony is, the stuff available today is so much prettier and elaborate than what we had in the fifties or sixties. 

And where did those stationary stores go?  I guess they have morphed into the big Office Depots, etc., but I sort of get overwhelmed in those.

I wish I still loved those things, because I remember how much pleasure they brought me.

@blueroses47  I have often been complimented on my handwriting.  I always say it's because I used to be a perfectionist when I was in jr. high (middle school these days).  If I made one mistake and the paper looked messy, I'd start over.  That gave me a lot of writing practice...LOL  I've always appreciated nice handwriting and especially like seeing older examples.  IMO, people have gotten sloppy with their handwriting and some don't even know how to write well anymore.

I remember (in elementary and junior high) not being allowed to turn in a paper with a mistake on it.  No cross-outs or erasures.  That policy turned us all into neurotic perfectionists.

Even in first grade we were given pencils with no erasers on them.  Yet you couldn't turn in a paper with a mistake.  Catch 22, it was.

Honored Contributor

No.  I hardly ever use that stuff and it is a constant eyesore in my junk drawer.  I keep throwing it out and it magically reappears.

I think my DH likes it better than I do.

Honored Contributor

I work full time but remotely from my home office, so I still need office supplies.  However, even if I didn't work, there are still things that every household needs.  I will always need post its, paper clips, a stapler, pens, pencils, paper for the printer.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

yes!  and worse I love pens, my favorite is my "cartridge" ink style from my school years (many moons ago).  My dad gave me a beautiful cartridge ink pen in college -- It brings me wonderful memories💜

I like to browse the local stationery store in search of new "gadgets".  I'm super organized when it comes to this stuff & love stickers!  

My friends always tell me you don't need Return Address  label on your cards -- we know right away from your beautiful handwriting & stickers on your cards😊.