Honored Contributor

Re: Do you really care . . .

@Cakers3 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't care if people care and I don't care if people don't care.

Oprah cannot win for the lose with some people.  It didn't take long for another Oprah diss from the last one regarding Meghan and Harry's wedding.

I noticed that, too, @Cakers3.   I also think @Highlands72's and @Zernia Rose's posts are insightful.  

@dooBdoo  Hi doobs-I think the remark that those who are against Oprah probably support Paula Deen was out of line.

I like Oprah; I don't follow her anymore but I also do not automatically jump to the conclusion that because a person dislikes her that the person is basing that dislike on race.

Are there people who dislike her for her race?  I'm sure there are.  However, this assumption that all dislike is based on race is divisive and unprovable.

To say one supports the remarks made by Paula Deen just because one does not care for Oprah is making such an illogical leap that it goes beyond unfair

We don't know what goes on it everyone's mind; sometimes I see people so intent on proving themselves PC that they really don't see how their remarks actually cause more division than intended.

We can think we see an underlying intent  regarding this thread but it cannot be proven.  The OP doesn't like Oprah's opinion on gifts; it certainly doesn't mean she was trying to slip in a racial undertone. 

Hi, my friend.❤️    My interpretation of @Zernia Rose's post wasn't the same as yours and @q-girl's, reading it as her expression of her opinion (and perhaps a "gut reaction") to the thread itself as a whole (not to the original post or intent of the entire thread) and also her reaction to only some of the posts and posters based on her observation and experience.   So in that regard I think it's insightful in that it's helpful for all of us us, including myself, to think about how and why we react to topics or discussions and what we can learn about ourselves as a result.   It's also helpful to read your interpretation, and @q-girl's interpretation, and I thank you both for taking time to write your also-insightful thoughts.   You and I probably also could be said to be judging an underlying intent in some posters regarding Oprah "dis" threads, and we can't prove our feelings about that -- but, then again, I should only speak for myself and think about why I feel that way.   I do know there have been regular and frequent discussions about certain well-known names which when added to a topic that otherwise might have been more general have a tendency to cause the topic, instead, to focus on that name/persona.   

I know from experience here that it's not fun or pleasant to have personal intent for starting a thread to be misjudged -- so my apologies to you, @q-girl❤️, for any discomfort my post (and my "hearting") cause.   I do my best to post with good intent, from my heart, but I often don't succeed in expressing that intent carefully, mindfully, or effectively.🌻  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

Each person is entitled to his/her opinion.  QVC has decided that too much rancor arises with unfettered access to their forums; incivility was not uncommon, even that of the vile kind. With oversight in place now, most of those comments have been eliminated and posters resort to other strategies, mostly veiled suggestions or statements such as 
"I don't want to be pc or politically correct." Note, my response was not questioning your values, mores, beliefs, or anything about you as I don't know you and have not interacted with you on a personal level. 

Yes, the original poster wanted to share the list and her/his perceptions about the items and the underlying intent for this and similar celebrity endorsements and many posters did as well.  However, the discussion was hijacked by those posting negative comments about Oprah.  This happens frequently with Graver, Greenstein, and Rinna (whose comments are compared to Paula Deen) as well as the hosts.  Perhaps, the original poster could have requested responses that were yes, maybe, or no which several respondents chose to do.

Few humans can resist the overt and subtle techniques designed to ensure that people purchase a product or service.  

Trusted Contributor

Dooboo (I believe your comments are in the blue font with red hearts; if not then to the person that did), thanks for clarifying my comments. You captured my intent. I apologize to the OP if he/she thought I characterized her/him as  r----st. 

Super Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Dooboo (I believe your comments are in the blue font with red hearts; if not then to the person that did), thanks for clarifying my comments. You captured my intent. I apologize to the OP if he/she thought I characterized her/him as  r----st. 

@Zernia Rose . . . . Perhaps the apology should be mine, if I rushed to judgement on your comment, and your above statement is truly and deeply appreciated. It also speaks to the quality of your character that you took the time and effort to post this. 

I am gratefull that we all have this place where we can share thoughts, ideas and comments, even when we sometimes misunderstand postings and that we can respect one another enough to work through these things.

Hugs . . .  Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hearts and (((hugs))) to you both, @q-girl❤️ and @Zernia Rose❤️.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I used to not care until these ‘celebrities’ got political. I don’t want to hear (and see) their politics, I want to hear product. I get turned off and I will turn the channel when QVC has them on. While they don't talk politics while on QVC, I remember what they say outside of QVC.

Hey, I’m old and pookie. Don’t need politics and…products.

Trusted Contributor

I don't care to hear about a celeb's politics either, unless they are running for office. I understand that they have the right to use their public platform for whatever cause they choose, but it never has persuaded me one way or another. I'm already too aware of the issues and know where I stand. Don't need or appreciate obnoxious lectures or virtue signaling from anyone at all. 

Same with shopping usually. I know what I need and like with no spiels or endorsements. However, there is my hard-to-buy-for oldest sister! Talk about someone who already has everything... Almost on the scale of Oprah! 😜😅 

I will check out her Favorite Things list when I hit Amazon this weekend. 

Respected Contributor

It isn't about any particular celebrity, it's about someone who can afford the best and it is this item they claim has value for reasons they elaborate on.  I'm going to listen and I may buy that product because it will give me that same value.  It could be an inexpensive item that doesn't break anyone's bank but it works, it's really about the item, not the celebrity but they are able to garner attention to products. Maybe Oprah gets to try products early before they are widely distrubuted.  I don't mind her giving people a head's up on what she found useful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't care if people care and I don't care if people don't care.

Oprah cannot win for the lose with some people.  It didn't take long for another Oprah diss from the last one regarding Meghan and Harry's wedding.

I noticed that, too, @Cakers3.   I also think @Highlands72's and @Zernia Rose's posts are insightful.  

@dooBdoo  Hi doobs-I think the remark that those who are against Oprah probably support Paula Deen was out of line.

I like Oprah; I don't follow her anymore but I also do not automatically jump to the conclusion that because a person dislikes her that the person is basing that dislike on race.

Are there people who dislike her for her race?  I'm sure there are.  However, this assumption that all dislike is based on race is divisive and unprovable.

To say one supports the remarks made by Paula Deen just because one does not care for Oprah is making such an illogical leap that it goes beyond unfair

We don't know what goes on it everyone's mind; sometimes I see people so intent on proving themselves PC that they really don't see how their remarks actually cause more division than intended.

We can think we see an underlying intent  regarding this thread but it cannot be proven.  The OP doesn't like Oprah's opinion on gifts; it certainly doesn't mean she was trying to slip in a racial undertone. 

Hi, my friend.❤️    My interpretation of @Zernia Rose's post wasn't the same as yours and @q-girl's, reading it as her expression of her opinion (and perhaps a "gut reaction") to the thread itself as a whole (not to the original post or intent of the entire thread) and also her reaction to only some of the posts and posters based on her observation and experience.   So in that regard I think it's insightful in that it's helpful for all of us us, including myself, to think about how and why we react to topics or discussions and what we can learn about ourselves as a result.   It's also helpful to read your interpretation, and @q-girl's interpretation, and I thank you both for taking time to write your also-insightful thoughts.   You and I probably also could be said to be judging an underlying intent in some posters regarding Oprah "dis" threads, and we can't prove our feelings about that -- but, then again, I should only speak for myself and think about why I feel that way.   I do know there have been regular and frequent discussions about certain well-known names which when added to a topic that otherwise might have been more general have a tendency to cause the topic, instead, to focus on that name/persona.   

I know from experience here that it's not fun or pleasant to have personal intent for starting a thread to be misjudged -- so my apologies to you, @q-girl❤️, for any discomfort my post (and my "hearting") cause.   I do my best to post with good intent, from my heart, but I often don't succeed in expressing that intent carefully, mindfully, or effectively.🌻  

@dooBdoo  I think my post may have been twisted a bit and I hope it was not construed that the posters were picking at the OP.

I find it disturbing that the dislike of a person of color is assumed to have racist undertones because we know it is not true all the time.  I find when we  automatically assume a person is racist because they do not like a person of color that it hurts the struggle to be inclusive.

I do apologize if they thought I was accusing or denigrating their opinions; it was not my intent.  They were insightful and a starting point for discussion on how we view opinions regarding race.  My sticking point is the assumption that SOME people would applaud Paula Deen just because they do not care for Oprah.

I hope no hard feelings resulted from my post.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

If we can ever get to the point where we can admit we dislike someone of another race and people won’t assume it is because they are another race it will be a good beginning.