Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you really care . . .

Interesting replies. I guess the advertising agents who put celebrities in their commercials don't mind paying them with zero profit. LOL

Regular Contributor

The hosts always name drop to sell. Some times eye rolls are deserved.😣

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@q-girl

NO! I don't care who's "favorite thing" it happens to be. I am a "value to $$" person, not swayed by any celeb or other supposedly "notable" person's endorsement.

Some call me cheap, I say I am frugal, and when it's my money being discussed? Only my opinion matters to me.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

John,

I'm with you!  While mostly French, when it comes to money that tiny bit of Scottish pops up.  My Wonderful Grandmother taught me that it is Fine to spend money on something you really desire, or need, but you MUST get Quality and Good Value for that money.  Lesson Learned.

Best to you, Cindy and the Fur babies!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ha! I would like to see a product advertise that they have no celebrity endorsers and that they are proud of it.😂😂😂

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if Q hosts are allowed to name celebrities.

The LUG presentations kept saying MIranda Lambert carries them and eventually the Q was told to stop.  Shawn pushed the envelope with that one by then saying a celebrity who cannot be named uses LUG.

After all, using Miranda's name was an unpaid endorsement so I don't think they can just name drop to sell.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

So it is okay to buy from one celebrity,but not for another.

@goldensrbest  But of course. 

Besides, Oprah isn't selling HER products.  She's just saying what SHE LIKES as a suggestion.

Martha promotes her own brand, although her name is attached to some things like that meat vendor.

Why people cannot see the difference is beyond comprehension.

Super Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Highlands72-I agree with your comments.  Because QVC has restricted certain topics, posters can't vent the feelings that many allude to here.  I detect an undercurrent of dislike because of her political views in 2008 and 2018.  I would surmise that some railing against Oprah were supportive of Paula Deen. This discussion has served as a way to express that dislike under the guise of celebrity endorsements.   

@Zernia Rose . . . .    I can assure you that Oprah, her political views, or “railing” against Oprah was not in any way the intention of this thread. What prompted me to write it was the appearance of the “Oprah’s Favorite Thing’s” banner and resulting thoughts regarding celebrity endorsements and their influence on others on this forum. I later asked if, conversely, disliking a celebrity would lead to not purchasing an endorsed product and mentioned a celebrity who was NOT Oprah. 

In what way does any discussion of the impact of celebrity endorsements end up in an assumption that those who have expressed feelings that were not necessarily glowing or less than positive regarding Oprah are supportive of Paula Deen? I find that statement to be presumptuous and illogical, and, in my opinion says much, much more about the speaker than those she is speaking about. Again, just my opinion.

With Thanks . . .  Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Couldn't care less about any product/anything endorsed by any celebrity!  The only exception is that I do pay attention to cookware endorsed by certain chefs....

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't care if people care and I don't care if people don't care.

Oprah cannot win for the lose with some people.  It didn't take long for another Oprah diss from the last one regarding Meghan and Harry's wedding.

I noticed that, too, @Cakers3.   I also think @Highlands72's and @Zernia Rose's posts are insightful.  

@dooBdoo  Hi doobs-I think the remark that those who are against Oprah probably support Paula Deen was out of line.

I like Oprah; I don't follow her anymore but I also do not automatically jump to the conclusion that because a person dislikes her that the person is basing that dislike on race.

Are there people who dislike her for her race?  I'm sure there are.  However, this assumption that all dislike is based on race is divisive and unprovable.

To say one supports the remarks made by Paula Deen just because one does not care for Oprah is making such an illogical leap that it goes beyond unfair

We don't know what goes on it everyone's mind; sometimes I see people so intent on proving themselves PC that they really don't see how their remarks actually cause more division than intended.

We can think we see an underlying intent  regarding this thread but it cannot be proven.  The OP doesn't like Oprah's opinion on gifts; it certainly doesn't mean she was trying to slip in a racial undertone. 

Respected Contributor

On a local talk show they showed some of Oprah's items. Many were expensive. $169.00 for a big tin of popcorn ,for example. Must be some special popcorn?