Honored Contributor

Re: Do you really care . . .

Celebrities like Oprah  etc have a lot of pull with many consumers... what  the celebritiy  likes or uses or wears.....  Personally I could care less what Oprah has to say or anything she does.  Same goes for other  so called celebrities. 

I certainly would not take diet advice from  the biggest loser Oprah that is for sure.. so ironic that she is the head of Weight watchers when she can not control her over eating herself!  For her to tell people how to lose weight with WW  is such a  joke.

Honored Contributor

No me, nor any other 'celebrity' endorsed product.

You don't really think the celebrity isn't PAID for their endorsement or pays (pennies to the workers)  a manufacturer for clothing lines/products that they can slap their name on, do you?

I sure don't.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jasmine19 wrote:

I used to care when she presented these items on her tv show. Not so much anymore.

So did I. Especially when her show was on the air. These days...I don't even know (or care) what's on her favorite things list. Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

Nope, I don't care.  I don't even follow stuff like this. or Oprah that matter. I have my own list favorite things.

I think Oprah feels she is entitled and she has acted out on occasion over her sense of entitlement and I don't care for her.  I would not buy anything with her label or anything because she endorsed it.

Honored Contributor

I think Oprah's Favorite Lists are a fun way to see what else is out there that I may have missed as I shop.  It's no different than a shorten Nordstrom Anniversary/Holiday Catalog, but people get bent out of shape just because Oprah's name is attached.  

I find it no different than people waiting to see what QVC will present for it's on air presentations.  If you only shop by what's presented in front of you, it could be QVC, Oprah, or any other influencer, then you short-change yourself. 

I've heard for years the people who call into QVC say their closet is all Susan Graver, or Bob Mackie, etc.  

Long answer, but No, I do not buy because anyone tells me it's their "favorite" or their "TSV."  But I surely do look at it all to see if is something I'm interested in, then make my decision, like always.  

Super Contributor

I want to thank everyone who took the time to read and respond to my post. I had the Q on while I was working around the house this morning and happened to look up at the presentation of the Peace Love World throw and saw a rather large banner showing that the throw was an Oprah 2018 Favorite Thing. I have heard a product referred to as an Oprah’s Favorite Thing many times, but this was the first time I’d seen the banner. 

I realize that celebrity endorsements are everywhere, and they do, at minimum, bring attention to a product. I was just curious to how much a celebrity, Oprah or anyone else, actually influenced your purchases. 

For me? Subliminally ? . . . .maybe.  But not consciously.  However, I find if I DO NOT LIKE a celebrity I may not even consider a product they endorse, until it is shoved down my throat. I do not care for Martha Stewart, but recently have purchased two of her branded products. Well, actually they were my husband’s decisions. (Her faux bois planter and her yard bags). The bags were made by SunJoe and are very nice. The planter is also nice. But I really had to get past the fact that it was Martha Stewart selling them. 

How do do you feel about products endorsed by celebrities you do not like?

Hugs . . . Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@q-girl

I won't even look at an item with Lisa Rinna's name on it, since she publicly insulted people who shop on TV shopping networks.

Yet she sells on this one, QVC, you can google her rant.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

I dont know everything that is on the market so when her list comes out, just like any catalog, I am interested. If I like it, I will buy it as a gift. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Celebrities like Oprah  etc have a lot of pull with many consumers... what  the celebritiy  likes or uses or wears.....  Personally I could care less what Oprah has to say or anything she does.  Same goes for other  so called celebrities. 

I certainly would not take diet advice from  the biggest loser Oprah that is for sure.. so ironic that she is the head of Weight watchers when she can not control her over eating herself!  For her to tell people how to lose weight with WW  is such a  joke.

I love Oprah.  I like that she helps others.  I do believe that if some of these items had not been on Oprah's favorite things they may not be on Q today.  I remember her book club all of those books went to Number 1.  Rachael Ray would not have her show if not for Oprah.  Dr. Phil would not be on TV if not for Oprah.  Anyone who helps people like Oprah does has earned my respect and yes I will take a look at some things she may like.  Anyway thats just meSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If it brings attention to your product, why not ? I always check out the favorite things, I don't necessarily buy any of them , but I'm sure many do.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan