Super Contributor

. . . if a product that is being presented is an “Oprah’s Favorite Thing” ?  That means absolutely nothing to me when I’m deciding on making a purchase. If I like a product, or if I believe the person I buying it for will enjoy it, I don’t really care if Oprah, or any other celebrity likes it or not. 

How about you?

Hugs . . .     Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you really care . . .

I buy it because it because it's something I want. 

Honored Contributor

I pay no attention to any celebrity....when it comes to  my puchases or any other thing they are trying to convince me of......

Honored Contributor

Yes, because two of them from the past are independently owned businesses in my town.  I can see one of the shops from my 10th floor office window right now.  So it is great for our economy that she put both on her list in the past couple of years.

Right now I already have the "favorite" turkey in my freezer and son has the "favorite" pound cake in his for preparation of the holiday season.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I used to care when she presented these items on her tv show. Not so much anymore.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't impact my decision at all.  Oprah or any other celebrity.

Respected Contributor

NO I don’t.

Why would I care what any of those people think, say or do. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Advertisers must think it works and works well. Look at all the celebrity endorsements in the ads. They are paying $$$$$$$ to the celebrities to hawk their products. And I am sure that is why Oprah does her Favorite Things. She profits from it.

I really can not see the thinking behind some of the ads. Will I really buy Cover Girl makeup because Ellen does ads for Cover Girl? Or ask for a prescription for my dry eye because Jennifer Aniston recommended it? Seems kind of sad that you would look to someone just because they are on TV for your prescriptions or products.

Honored Contributor

None of us have Oprah's money anyway LOL

Honored Contributor

It serves to bring a product to the attention of a lot of people and a lot of people will buy because someone uses it.  Some will see it and decide for themselves to buy it.

I am more likely to look at cookware that Jacques Pepin promotes than something else new to me.  And yes, I think that aspect is important in selling products.