Honored Contributor

Re: Do you put salt on your watermelon?

Nope.  When I was little, we always seemed to put salt on everything.  Watermelon, corn on the cob, salad - you name it -- we salted it!  Now, I try to salt very little.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I go back and forth with it.  Put a bit of salt then once that portion is eaten then take a few bites without.  Then back to salty.  I never salt entire slice at once just a few bites at a time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Yes, a little bit.  Seems to make it sweeter.  For those interested in trying, remember just a little bit.

Honored Contributor

I have before as well as on an apple and tomato--all delicious

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, my parents always did so that's what I did too.  I don't have watermelon too often but when I do, I still put eat it with salt but much less than I used to.  I thought EVERYBODY put salt on their watermelon until a few years back when the topic came up here or elsewhere.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Never

Honored Contributor

No. I never put salt on any fruit, let alone melons. But now I want to try it. That Tajin stuff too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

No, but I say go for it if you like it. I get strange looks when I put hot sauce on my mangos. 

Honored Contributor

Yes to salt on watermelon. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Hubby and I have been married 44 years. He was cutting a piece of watermelon and I told him to cut me one too....

I took a bite out of it and it tasted salty! I asked him if he put salt on it (thinking he did it as a joke). He said "Yea, I always put salt on watermelon". In 44 years, I never knew that and he certainly never saw me put any on mine.....LOL

Anyway, we got into a conversation about it and he said that "alot of people do!" He even posted it on his Facebook page and more than half the people that answered said THEY DID.

I am just wondering how many of you all put salt on YOUR watermelon???

@Nataliesgramma 

Seriously?   I don't eat watermelon, but I doubt there is ANY fruit I would put salt on.   Ugh.