Honored Contributor

Re: Do you pick wild berries?

I found a few wild raspberries last year on a trail i walk on,just a few ,i have memories of my grandmas blackberry cobbler, which i so loved.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Best memory as a kid was picking wild blueberries in Jersey.  The plants were all over our backyard.  Heart  

Honored Contributor

I see wild berries around...but I stay away from them because most of them are poisonous in my parts. 

This topic of  "berries" brings me back to my hippie-days...peace and loveSmiley Happy. My dad used to tell me: "You can't move to the mountains, pick berries and live off of love"...so much for the berries, but he was so wrong about the rest!Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I see wild berries around...but I stay away from them because most of them are poisonous in my parts. 

This topic of  "berries" brings me back to my hippie-days...peace and loveSmiley Happy. My dad used to tell me: "You can't move to the mountains, pick berries and live off of love"...so much for the berries, but he was so wrong about the rest!Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

@SilleeMee, Cute story!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I do pick berries, but there are no bears around here. I did come nose to nose with a deer one time.

i have also found that things change through the years. Some areas I picked have been developed and some have simply changed and have grasses, now.

Honored Contributor

I haven't in a million years but, growing up in CA, we always picked blackberries.   All you had to do was drive along any road or small highway type road and there were wild blackberry bushes galore.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We do pick blackberries occasionally, if we can get to them first.   Between the birds and the bears, the wild berries disappear quickly.   

Years ago, my brother and I helped our family pick gallons of huge blackberries every summer.  Not long after buying the farm, Grandpa started planting blackberry vines along the edge of the fence line between his land and what later became our property.   By the early 60's, those vines were fully matured and were always loaded, and waiting to be picked.  We would start early, and pick berries for hours, for days on end, and everything that could be made with a blackberry, my family made it.   Berries were frozen for use during the winter months, but we enjoyed fresh berries with sugar and cold milk, cobblers, pies, cakes, milkshakes, jam, syrup, and Grandpa even made blackberry wine.   

We used metal paint cans, hung from our belt, to collect our berries, which allowed us to pick with both hands.   We would empty our buckets gently into dish pans for our aunt and mom to take back to the house to clean, and start prepping for the recipe of the day.   I remember sore, stained fingers, lots of scratches, sunburned necks and being very tired of berries by the time we stripped all those vines.   Summer on a farm always meant being alert for snakes, and since we saw them all the time in the barn, corn crib, chicken house, and grainery, we didn't think anything about seeing a black snake in a blackberry vine waiting on a bird to fly down for a snack.   We didn't bother them, and they never bothered us.   

Grandpas vines eventually all died out by the late 60's, but they kept us busy for a good 7-8 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used to pick blackberries alongside backroads in California all the time.  I haven't done it for a long time.  Birds eat a lot of them, but there aren't any bears around here.  Maybe I'll take a drive.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Lots of good memories of me and my three brothers picking blueberries in pint jars and selling them. I lived in PA until I was 7, so it was before then. I remember just eating so many blueberries, big fat, ripe, firm juicy ones. When I see the price of blueberries today, we could have been rich had they been that price back in the day.