Respected Contributor

Re: Do you personally know someone who tested positive for covid 19?

@merri wrote:

Yes.  I tested positive 2 weeks ago and so did my husband.  He has recovered but I'm still sick.  I've had a fever everyday for 2 weeks, also cough, severe body aches, vomiting, shaking and shortness of breath.  Ive never been this sick or this weak.  I live in Florida and work in a large trauma hospital.  Even though we take all precautions, it was just a matter of time before I caught it from the hundreds of patients I've cared for.  Several co-workers have begun to test positive and we have been overwhelmed for some time.  I don't know when I will be well enough to return to work. 
It makes me so angry when I hear people say that Covid is a hoax or is just like having a little cold.  Wearing a mask and distancing can only help.  Why are some people so selfish that they can't understand this? I am generally strong and healthy and never get sick. This disease has ravished my body and my spirit.  One night I wasn't sure I would survive.  If anyone wants to be nasty or attack me for this post, please don't.  I'm too exhausted to defend my position.  

@merri, you continue to hang in there and fight the good fight.  And thank you for the work that you do to take care of the patients and risk your own health and the health of your family by taking care of your patients.

Your story is one that I also know from a number of nurses I know here.  I know it can be discouraging to hear all the rattle discounting the severity of this disease all the while you would see the reality of it every day at work and now unfortunately are a victim yourself.  But just know that there are many out there that are grateful for what you do and wish you the very best.  Take care of yourself & please check in later and let us know how you are doing.  Here's hoping the temperature and body aches abate quickly and you are able to feel better soon! HeartHeart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know anyone personally, but through two people I know “of” three people. One was my niece’s husband’s grandmother. She had MANY health issues. She passed away. The other two are a couple that are friends with my friend. The husband was very over weight. He passed away. The wife is not doing too well. They are in their 60’s. My friend was exposed but is fine so far.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Several people at DH's work tested positive.  One man in his early 40s is in a rehab facility.  He was a very healthy man.  He's learning to walk again.

I know of 3 people that recovered and 2 died personally.

Trusted Contributor

We lost my SIL to Covid in April.  I also know personally or of several others who tested positive.  Sadly, a few died.  I don't think there's a person in NY who doesn't know someone who either had it or worse, passed from it.  Our numbers were staggering, but we're doing well now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I knew someone, an elderly cousin. She died yesterday.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  My cousin, in her fifties, died in April after being told she was positive.  The doctors told her to go home and self quarantine.  Four days later, after her phone not being answered, a well being check was done and she was found dead.

In June, a former co-worker, also in his fifties, died in the hospital after catching it from his brother.  They lived together.  Ironically, the brother only got mildly sick.

Right now, one of my brothers in law tested positive from a coworker.  The coworker didn't realize at first of course, that he had it.  

This is no joke!  I'm so tired of so called healthy people complaining about wearing a 😷, especially those that only have to wear it going out on errands once in a while.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know two people personally who tested positive. One is a neighbor, a teacher in her early 60s. She went to the hospital in mid-March and was in the hospital for 17 days, on a ventilator for half that time. When discharged she still had to do some kind of oxygen treatment daily for about a month.

The other one is a former neighbor who was in her mid 70s. She was in an Assisted Living facility and did have some underlying conditions. She died ~ three weeks after testing positive.

I also have two other friends who lost members of their families. One was a grandparent so he was older and the other one was in her early 30s. According to my friends both were in relatively good health.

I live in Illinois where our governor jumped on things pretty quickly. Now with places reopening, people are getting bored and careless so I fear we will regress.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Yes, five; and all are just fine.

The greater percentage of recovery is rarely mentioned in newscasts that I have watched. The emphasis seems to be on the number of cases. Well, yes, if you are testing more people, you will find more cases, even if those people are not having any symptoms. Doesn't mean all those people are going to die. So it can be unnerving for some people to see/hear those statistics without further details.

It seems that the news people aren't telling all of the story when they don't mention the high recovery rate.

By the way, each of the five described it as seasonal flu on steroids, taking a bit longer to get their strength back; but manageable for all of them. Age range was 45-84. A couple of them had underlying issues.

I'm happy to say that all five of my friends are very optimistic people who don't let anything get them down for long. They are always looking for the positive in everything, even getting the coronavirus. They felt it gave them greater appreciation for the medical personnel and that they got to reevaluate what is important in their lives. 

Although none of them would like to go thru it again, the severity each of them had seemed to have a direct correlation to their eating/healthy lifestyle. The ones who were very health conscious prior to the virus had it the least disruptive to their lives. One had been letting herself go a little, not eating well, etc. She had it the worst.

Respected Contributor

I've been told of many in my hosplital settings.  None I've known personally, but I may. Being retired now, it has to trickle down to me, from those still on the front lines.

Interestingly, Reuters (June 3 report) states there have been 600 nurses worldwide to have died from COVID (number doubling from May) and 450,000 healthcare workers worldwide have tested positive.  

The numbers have to be higher now, since Reuters stats were from early June and we're halfway into July, with heavy spread, since.  

Chances are we've ALL known, or shared space, or environment,  with someone positive. It's why we need to keep those darn masks on, social distance and stay home whenever possible. It's OUT there!

Respected Contributor

Yes.