Respected Contributor

Re: Do you pay for your gas at the pump with a debit card?

I basically have stopped using my debit card. I do use my bank credit card but I make sure I keep track of purchases in my check book. Having a check book is old school but it works for me when I make purchases. When the bill arrives, I have already deducted everything purchased so I am not scrambling to come up with money to pay the entire bill.

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

No, there are strict rules in this house about the use of debit cards.  They are never used to pay for anything.

what do you use the debit card for then?  i've been wracking my brain trying to think of a instance where i would use my debit card, but not for a purchase, and can't come up with anything.  i am still on my first cup of coffee though. 

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

No, there are strict rules in this house about the use of debit cards.  They are never used to pay for anything.

what do you use the debit card for then?  i've been wracking my brain trying to think of a instance where i would use my debit card, but not for a purchase, and can't come up with anything.  i am still on my first cup of coffee though. 

Our ATM card is also a debit card. We told the bank that we don't want this, we only want the ATM. They basically said too bad, this is the way we do it. We don't use it for purchases, only to get cash from the ATM machine.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't have a debit card and I pay for everything with a cc. My gas station requires customers to pay in advance at the window before any gas is pumped. There is no place on the pumps to put any kind of cards through. They did this to eliminate the illegal skimming devices being placed on the pump card readers.

we just started using a cc only for all purchases   this past year after our debit card was compromised...... no more use of debit card anymore  unless we need cash from the bank.  

It works out great!  I am getting lots of points and use them for free gift cards to use at the store or wherever.    I just pay off the CC at the end of the month.  Easy!  

@SeaMaiden- We will now switch to using credit cards like you did.  I prefer not to carry cash around so this makes sense.  I'm not a big credit card user, but paying it off at the end of the month will work fine. 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't have a debit card and I pay for everything with a cc. My gas station requires customers to pay in advance at the window before any gas is pumped. There is no place on the pumps to put any kind of cards through. They did this to eliminate the illegal skimming devices being placed on the pump card readers.

we just started using a cc only for all purchases   this past year after our debit card was compromised...... no more use of debit card anymore  unless we need cash from the bank.  

It works out great!  I am getting lots of points and use them for free gift cards to use at the store or wherever.    I just pay off the CC at the end of the month.  Easy!  

@SeaMaiden- We will now switch to using credit cards like you did.  I prefer not to carry cash around so this makes sense.  I'm not a big credit card user, but paying it off at the end of the month will work fine. 

@San Antonio Gal.  We get cash back on our credit cards. And sometimes a lot of cash!  Just for using the cc. And it is paid in full every month.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. 

Respected Contributor

No, I pay in cash for gas.

Honored Contributor

Great incentive to use them @proudlyfromNJ!

Respected Contributor

no. I don't even have one

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@San Antonio Gal    You will feel so much better about the fact that no one can take all your money out of your bank account like they can with the debit card.  With the CC you could be compromised but, it is not YOUR MONEY.  Really gives us peace of mind.   Plus the added benefit of getting all the extra reward points too!  It comes out the same at the end of the month.