Honored Contributor

Re: Do you opt for gas when getting a dental procedure?

I do not; nitrous oxide can reduce B12 levels.  

Honored Contributor

To be clear, nitrous oxide is neither an anesthetic nor does it deaden pain in any way.  I was totally anesthetized (knocked out completely) when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, just like any other surgery.  I still have injections to deaden pain in addition to the "gas" when I want it.

It's merely an option for relaxation instead of say, taking a mild tranquilizer before your visit.  I like it because it's totally controlled and when I get out of the chair, I am as clear headed as when I sat down.

Honored Contributor

I've been to the dentist twice a year for too many years to count!

I've only had gas twice - many years apart.  Both times it was an impacted wisdom tooth..  

All other extractions, root canals, bonding, filling, etc. etc.  done with shots.

Honored Contributor

I've only been knocked out (twice) when I had my wisdom teeth removed.  I've never had gas, always novacaine.

Respected Contributor

Never and I have had just about everything done to my teeth:  extractions, fillings, root canals, crowns, impressions, braces, bridges, implants (off the top of my memory).   I am pretty stoic and not a lot bothers me so I prefer to remain very alert and focused.  I had an accident that seriously comprised my teeth and have had procedures and repeat procedures.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

I always get the conscious sedation IV.  I am awake but I have no memory of the actual procedure going on at least for me.  All I remember is after the IV is inserted, I sit back, the dentist, the assistant & I chit chat.  The next thing I remember is getting up out the chair w/o the attached IV,  pain free & clear headed.  I drive myself home.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I use to get it for one of my daughters because she had a lot of anxiety, she is fine now.

Once I asked for valium before but it was such a hassle to get hubby to drive me and pick me up that I never did it again.  As long as the novacain works I am fine.  I have had extractions and never felt a thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes always.  It relaxes me and calms me down. 

When we first moved to the area 31 years ago I called around and asked many dentists if they offered it and many at the time did not.  I found one who did and have been with him since then.

I also really like him as well.  He's agreat dentist but expensive.

ETA:  It may not agree with some people but I have never had a problem.  As soon as he takes the mask off I am fine and not even a little groggy.  He does give me a few minutes of oxygen before removing the mask.

I can drive myself home...however the mask leaves marks on my face that can take a few hours to go away.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Just to let everyone know - the gas does not knock you out.  You are 100% aware of what's going on.  It just takes away the stress/anxiety.  It has a very calming effect.

Yes ....I am never kocked out!  As a matter of fact, I have a lot of conversations about all sorts of topics with my dentist (he's the type who just like to talk a LOT)....you name it he will talk about it.  The hard part is saying anything when your mouth is open and he's working on it!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

They've never offered this option but I sure wouldn't turn it down.