Honored Contributor

Do you observe Sweetest Day?

It's Oct 15 this year. WE don't do a box of candy any longer, as I am diabetic. But we will go out for a meal

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you observe Sweetest Day?

I have never heard of this day so I thought you meant Valentine's Day....okay I might ask the guys in my family why we aren't celebrating..haha

Honored Contributor

snip

The first Sweetest Day was on October 10, 1921 in Cleveland. The Cleveland Plain Dealer's October 8, 1922 edition, which chronicles the first Sweetest Day in Cleveland, states that the first Sweetest Day was planned by a committee of 12 confectioners chaired by candymaker C. C. Hartzell. The Sweetest Day in the Year Committee distributed over 20,000 boxes of candy to "newsboys, orphans, old folks, and the poor" in Cleveland, Ohio.[3] The Sweetest Day in the Year Committee was assisted in the distribution of candy by some of the biggest movie stars of the day including Theda Bara and Ann Pennington.[2]

There were also several attempts to start a "Sweetest Day" in New York City, including a declaration of a Candy Day throughout the United States by candy manufacturers on October 8, 1922.[4] In 1927, The New York Times reported that "the powers that determine the nomenclature of the weeks of October" decreed that the week beginning on October 10, 1927 would be known as Sweetest Week.[5] On September 25, 1937, The New York Times reported under Advertising News and Notes that The National Confectioners Association had launched a "movement throughout the candy industry" to rank Sweetest Day with the nationally accepted Mother's Day, Father's Day, and St. Valentine's Day.[6] In 1940, another Sweetest Day was proclaimed on October 19. The promotional event was marked by the distribution of more than 10,000 boxes of candy by the Sweetest Day Committee.[7] The candy was distributed among 26 local charities. 225 children were given candy in the chapel at the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children on October 17, 1940.[7] 600 boxes of candy were also delivered to the presidents of the Jewish, Protestant and Catholic Big Sister groups of New York.

from wiki

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This isn't a country wide holiday.  I have friends who live in California and they had never heard of it.

DH and I don't celebrate it.

Respected Contributor

We don't exchange gifts or cards for Sweetest Day.  We usually go out to eat together on Saturday night anyway and then we'll remember that it's Sweetest Day.  LOL

I was just buying a birthday card for my husband - our birthday is Wednesday - and saw all the Sweetest Day cards out.  

Honored Contributor

I've lived in many different places all over the USA and never heard of this day. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've lived in many different places all over the USA and never heard of this day. 

I think its regional

Esteemed Contributor

DH & I are celebrating sweetest day tonight with a nice dinner out.  We can't have candy unless it is SF & flowers don't last long enough.  lol.

Honored Contributor

Yes, everyday!

Respected Contributor

Never heard of it. 

Oct. 15th is the day we have to file our final taxes by, after submitting extensions by April 15th.