Esteemed Contributor

I do now.  And I got an ARLO for watch the door when I leave.  Used to be we could go away for days andnever even think of locking our doors. 

Honored Contributor

They're even taking your purse out of your car now when your pumping gas

I don't even leave my purse unattended in the cart at walmart if I know I'm gonna be looking away at the shelves..

People need to watch TV news and 'don't be a victim' shows. your back is turned for one second and somebody walks past your cart and BOOM your bag and all contents is long gone.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you lock your doors?

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I don't even leave my purse unattended in the cart at walmart if I know I'm gonna be looking away at the shelves..

People need to watch TV news and 'don't be a victim' shows. your back is turned for one second and somebody walks past your cart and BOOM your bag and all contents is long gone.

That's why I use a cross body. My purse is on me at all times, never in the grocery cart.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you lock your doors?

[ Edited ]

Growing up in the 80's and 90's, we didn't lock our doors at all during the day, but at night we always did.  We lived in a safe, small town, so we never gave it a second thought and never had anything happen.  I know a lot of people in our town that didn't lock their doors, it was just common practice.  In this day and age, I'd NEVER leave my doors unlocked and I live in a very safe neighborhood, but things can happen.  Even if I still lived in a super small town in the Midwest, I would lock my doors.  My doors are locked all the time when I'm home or gone.

I feel sorry for this family and pray they find her alive.  She probably didn't lock the door when she went for her run, someone could have easily gotten into the house and hidden until she went to sleep or she could have been abducted when she left the house the next morning. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Other then watching the DVD 'Mr. Brooks' got one more piece of advice

when going away on vacation, etc. Lock down your garage doors, DON'T TELL ANYBODY YOUR LEAVING ! Your friends may be the salt of the earth, but, you don't know WHO they will tell just in passing. News travels

We don't even tell our Pastor. Loose lips sink ships. Have papers and mail held.

This reminded me of one time my husband was on the phone with the garage door people, to get somebody at the house to fix whatever the problem was (it was years ago, so I don't recall).

Anyway, he tells the guy that he will be out of town from 'x' to 'y', "but my wife will be home alone" and they can come at any time after xyz.   YES!  He said that.

I asked him what he was trying to do - get me killed or something.  He was like 'huh?'.  You know how dense guys can be.   He didn't even realize the potential for harm caused by proclaiming the duration during which he would be out of town and that his wife would be home alone.   That just blew my mind.

As to locking doors - heck yeah!  ALL my doors and windows are locked pretty much all the time.

I'm sure those who call everybody else paranoid will come along and krap on the thread, to tell us what idiots we are and that's fine, because they are wrong.  Granted, I grew up never EVER feeling safe but it's just good sense to lock doors and windows.

You have to get through 4 locks to get through my front door - or bring an ax.   Sure, it takes a fair amount for me to feel safe at any given time because I never felt safe during my formative years.   But you do what you need to do.  Smiley Happy    

I remember when my sister was going to college here and she would drive around with her car doors unlocked.    It had never occurred to her that it's a good idea to have the car doors locked when you're driving.   I told her the true story about a lady I worked with who was stopped at a red light and some guy came running over there and got into the passenger side of her vehicle to direct her where to drive and to rip her off.  Stuff happens, so you think about what you're doing and be aware of your surroundings.

Just makes good sense!!

I don't even have words for a man like that. Sorry.

Respected Contributor

Sure do !  Also have cameras and door alarms. Recently camera caught a woman attempting to get in while we were gone for two days ! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, I lock everything outside my house, too...shed, fence gates, garage overhead door included.

I think gates and other stuff are really important, too!   The gates to the sides and back of our property have locks from the inside.   I like that.  We just have smooth surface gates that just look like part of a fence, except that the boards are flush together.  Then, on the other side they have locks.   They are always locked unless he's working out there or we are expecting a service person who needs access back there.   That gives me a lot of comfort too.

I just had some 'door-open' alarms put on my fence gates because where they are located, I can't see them. The alarms are good, too, for when someone enters my back yard when the gates aren't locked.

Thanks for that info!  That sounds like a really good idea.  I didn't even know those existed.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I always put my car keys in my pocket when I pump gas, but don't usually lock the car door, guess I need to as my purse is in there.

Drives me nuts when I'm shopping and see a cart with a purse in it, and the woman is at the other end of the aisle. What are they thinking?

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu, what's an ARLO? Never heard of that.

Trusted Contributor

Our doors are always locked all hours of the day. The few times we go out of town, we pack our suitcases in the trunk with the garage door closed.  Although we live in a neighborhood which is deemed safe, anybody can enter the subdivision at any time. You just never know-