Honored Contributor

smart girl !

Honored Contributor
Our doors are always locked. Our front door is standing open but the screen door is locked. We never leave our garage door open.
Frequent Contributor

Yes we do. We live in a safe country-ish like town north of Boston. Better safe than sorry. 

Respected Contributor

Always.  Cars in garage are also locked.  

I didn't grow up with locked doors.  We lived very rural.  My parents didn't lock the doors.  On hot summer nights the doors were open for air flow thru the screen doors.

That was a different time/place.  Crime wasn't as rampant and hadn't touched us yet.

My home is close to the old homestead, still rural.  Even if I am outside gardening or up visiting the neighbor the house is locked unless DH is inside.  Paranoid...may-be.  Aware and cautious....yes.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we lock our doors at night and during the day unless we're working outside and maybe coming in and out. Many years ago (25-ish), the kids and I left for a beach day and came home to find our front door wide open.  Initally I panicked a little but everything was just as we had left it.  Times changed, though.  Several winters ago, we had a bad snow so DH didn't go into work.  I don't know why, but school wasn't cancelled.  DH was out clearing the driveway with the snowblower while I made coffee and got breakfast ready.  He came in, leaving the garage door up because he wasn't done outside yet.  Kids were starting to make their way to the subdivision bus stop.  A day or two later I discovered that I was missing a little random cash from my car console, not a lot, just a few bucks and some change.  We concluded that it was likely one of those kids who came into our garage and helped himself, but we had no proof.  So nowadays we lock up.  

Honored Contributor

@happycat

Born in Public Housing Projects before the 1940's, and my mother taught us to always lock exterior doors. Have lived, and do live in nice areas, once we moved from The Projects. We live in a semi-rural area just outside our city, and our doors are locked even when I mow our couple acres.

Made sure all exterior doors have good dead bolt locks for a reason, and that is to secure it. Always have and always will.

Had my locked, nice area, apartment burglarized back in 1974. You never quite get completely over it when someone breaks into your home and helps themselves to your belongings. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

My doors always have been & always will be locked!!!

Honored Contributor

Oh yes!  My front door, including the screen door is always locked.  My patio door is locked tight as is my garage door and the door that leads from the garage into the kitchen. I have deadbolts on them too.  I also keep my windows locked, upstairs and down.

They are locked when I am out, or if I am home.  My house is like Fort Knox.

i live in a nice suburban neighborhood where I feel safe, but mostly everyone works all day.  That means their houses are empty.  The homes are all nice upper middle class...a good place or thiefs to find something of value.

My backyard neighbor had someone put a hole in the screen to his patio door, but they didn't get in.  Another neighbor had a rare coin collection stolen by an eight year old boy who got caught when he tried to buy something with the coins.

Two years ago, someone threw a brick through my car window, but there was nothing to steal in my car, and they ran when my car alarm went off at 4 am.  Now my DH installed a dusk to dawn spot light on our garage that lights up the whole driveway.

There are a lot of car break-ins this area in general.  I am surprised by the stuff people leave in their cars.  They are just asking for trouble.

Honored Contributor

I live in an area that used to be very rural.

My late in-laws only locked up their house when they went to church once a week.

There were always kids coming and going, relatives all around them.

Those days are over.

I live alone, there are 5 doors coming into my house, not counting the garage door.   Someone could just take their pick.

I do have some security, nothing real sophisticated.

If someone wanted in bad enough, they could get in fairly easily.

I keep all the doors locked, 24/7.

I've always heard the garage door is the easiest to breach.   

Valued Contributor

I lock my doors when I’m at home.  I typically leave them unlocked if I leave out the front door I’d my car is in the driveway.  I have a huge ADT sign in my yard and an 80lb pit bull mix inside.  I also live on a golf course , we don’t have a whole lot of crime here.  Having said that, I do sleep with a .38 on my night stand.