Honored Contributor

Of course.

Not locking?

It’s not a matter of living,

‘in a small town’, ‘in a safe neighborhood’, ‘gated community,’ or

any other ridiculous excuse. It just reflects the lack of common sense.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you lock your doors?

[ Edited ]

Of course I do, always!  I think it's just naive to think that you are "safe" anywhere these days.   It's second nature for me to lock my car door as soon as I open it, and my home door as soon as I close it behind me.  Why invite trouble or make it any easier for the bad guys? 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Of course.

Not locking?

It’s not a matter of living,

‘in a small town’, ‘in a safe neighborhood’, ‘gated community,’ or

any other ridiculous excuse. It just reflects the lack of common sense.

@sidsmomITA All communities have break ins.

At night , we make sure all windows are shut and locked (even though it would be lovely to have breezes from outdoors at times) check the security cameras for full strength on the batteries , lock doors, turn on porch lights ( highly recommended by police) and set security alarms.

Honored Contributor

Locker Rooms:

I’m stunned the # of women in gym locker rooms who just

throw their purse & car keys in an open locker, close the door and

continue on their way.  

No lock.

One of my gyms uses the same card we use to check in

as the actual ‘lock’ for the locker...and they still don’t use.

Their purse/car keys open for anyone to take..because it’s a ‘nice area.’

(Face Palm)

A lot of money, but not alotta sense!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you lock your doors?

[ Edited ]

@happycat

I’m surprised by the question. Yes, I do, and always have, locked my doors. They are locked when I am home as well as when I’m away.

When I was growing up, my parents locked the door if we all left the house and drove off somewhere but not if we all went to a neighbor’s home... They locked the doors when they went to bed at night.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I hope nobody uses the notion that locking doors won't help and just does nothing.  That certainly won't help!  We just do what we can and that's all we can do.

It's pretty infrequent that somebody will go to a lot of additional trouble to get in.   We actually have sticker bushes placed around the side of the house so that if somebody jumps the fence they are going to be really sorry.  Those stickers  are like an inch long and truly brutal.   Nobody belongs back there,  and would have to go to a lot of trouble to get back there, so it's not my fault if somebody gets hurt.

One good thing is that a neighbor has a lot of cameras and, since there is only one way to enter my property, he will see if anybody comes down our driveway.  He's the Gladys Kravitz of the little street I live on, so that's helpful.    My husband just bought those cameras that were on TSV a couple of weeks ago.  We'll see how long it takes until he decides to actually do something with them...(not holding breath).

@chickenbutt

I wish I had good neighbors... I live in an apartment building. One neighbor noticed a couple guys checking car doors in the middle of the night (from her apartment window) and did nothing. In the morning she discovered they had broke in to her car. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@chickenbutt

I wish I had good neighbors... I live in an apartment building. One neighbor noticed a couple guys checking car doors in the middle of the night (from her apartment window) and did nothing. In the morning she discovered they had broke in to her car. 

I don't usually wish any ill-will on anybody, but it's kind of funny karma that it was HER car that he  broke into.  Smiley Very Happy  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I do during the day and at night the only time we don't is if we are entertaining at the house and guests are coming.  I've lived in NYC all my life grew up in the outer boros so I remember way back then as a child my parents did not lock the doors to the house or the cars we lived in a quite residential area.  I am just as diligent when I travel to other places to make sure all doors are securely locked.

Those days are long gone.

QVC Customer Care
Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@happycat

I’m surprised by the question. Yes, I do, and always have, locked my doors. They are locked when I am home as well as when I’m away.

When I was growing up, my parents locked the door if we all left the house and drove off somewhere but not if we all went to a neighbor’s home... They locked the doors when they went to bed at night.

@willdob3, I was surprised when I heard that the boyfriend had said they never locked their doors. It made me think of another time and place, I guess. Unfortunately, they had a false sense of security, whether that poor girl was taken from her house off the street.

But, as I have read the replies, it seems that some folks do feel safe without locking the doors and I hope and pray they are.