Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

just curious?  if you lived in a town of 460 people, and no neighbors and never had crime in your town,would you lock your doors?

Yes, I would.  Because anything can happen anywhere.  And "no neighbors" would make me even more inclined to lock doors.

The bottom line for me is that it takes less than two seconds to lock or unlock a door.  I can't think of one good reason not to do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

I lock and brace my apartment door no matter the time of day or night. 

Deadbolt, chain, plus a door security bar.

Always better to be safety-smart.

Too many people assume or expect that nothing bad will every happen to them, especially if nothing ever has. 

All doors should also be locked the second you enter your vehicle - no matter where you are.  Just being female makes you vulnerable.

Absolutely.  It's the first thing I do when I get in.  Day or night, city or country, "safe" area or not.  And it doesn't matter if I'm alone or with other people.  

My son lived in a fairly unsafe area for a few years, and had no issues, even though he was often out late at night alone.  However, while visiting a friend one weekend in a VERY "safe", affuent area with no crime worries, he and and another friend were held at gunpoint and robbed on the street in a quiet neighborhood in the middle of the day.

No one should ever assume "it can't happen here".  

Respected Contributor

No. Not unless we'll be gone overnight. Or if we have overnight guests who don't feel comfortable with our "open door" policy.

Valued Contributor
My neighborhood is very nice but my doors are locked all day and night. I never understood why anyone would ever leave their doors unlocked. All it takes is a turn of the hand to lock a door, which could save you from potential danger. Bad people have easy access to all neighborhoods, nice or not, unless it’s a gated community; but even that’s not impossible to get into.
Honored Contributor

We live in the woods on a lot of property, we lock our doors and always have a gun that we can get to and would not hesitate to use if we feel threatened. We had a black bear try to crawl up the logs on the side of our house last Spring. My husband fired off a round out the window and the bear took off. We had to call the Game Commission to report the incident and they sent someone out with a trap. We caught everything in that trap but the bear.