Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you loan your stuff to friends & family?

Yep, stuff tends NOT to come back. At this point, I don't "loan" unless I'm willing to say goodbye.
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I don't loan anything that matters to me, things I would be upset about if they weren't returned or returned damaged. Usually, I just tell them to keep it and buy myself a new whatever. I never loan clothing, I just give it to them or say no. 

Honored Contributor

We've loaned out lots of stuff and some makes it back ... some doesn't.  We'll still do it because we are idiots that want to help.  LOL 

We have learned a lot by the non-returners, but it hasn't changed us, just the way we loan. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

I only loan things to my son no one else!!

Years ago my MIL loaned $$ to her SIL.She never got it back!! Before she died she asked me to go after the $$ for her.I sure tried & I was told that the $$ had been paid back & to stop making trouble!! That ended that relationship my DH was furious!!

More recently, a "friend" asked me to cosign a $10,000 loan for her.I turned her down.She has barely spoken to me since!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely not anymore.  My DH tends to be the one to loan things and they seldom come back (or at least without a struggle).

He loaned a DVD (no longer issued) to a family member and we never got that back.  And it's always "I don't think I borrowed that.  Are you sure it wasn't someone else?"  I eventually found a used copy on eBay, but I shouldn't have had to replace it at our expense.  We're still missing another out-of-issue DVD he lent to the same family member.

Same with some books.  Had to laugh, once I saw one of my books on my sister-in-law's shelf and commented.  Was told "No, that's mine.  I've had it for years."  "So why has it got my name in it???"  "OH!  Then it must be yours.  I thought it was mine."

I rest my case.  "Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend."  (Polonius in "Hamlet")

(ETA:  Yes, to a brother I'm very close to - I'd lend or give him anything he asked for.  He doesn't abuse the privilege.)

Honored Contributor

Never have, never will.  As Shakespeare said "Neither a borrower nor a lender be."  Wise man!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I most likely would.  If it was an item that meant a lot to me, then I would say no.

Honored Contributor

Nicksmom wrote:

I only loan things to my son no one else!!

Years ago my MIL loaned $$ to her SIL.She never got it back!! Before she died she asked me to go after the $$ for her.I sure tried & I was told that the $$ had been paid back & to stop making trouble!! That ended that relationship my DH was furious!!

More recently, a "friend" asked me to cosign a $10,000 loan for her.I turned her down.She has barely spoken to me since!!

Wow (bolded by me), that sure tells what HER friendship was about, eh?

Honored Contributor

Venezia wrote:

Definitely not anymore.  My DH tends to be the one to loan things and they seldom come back (or at least without a struggle).

He loaned a DVD (no longer issued) to a family member and we never got that back.  And it's always "I don't think I borrowed that.  Are you sure it wasn't someone else?"  I eventually found a used copy on eBay, but I shouldn't have had to replace it at our expense.  We're still missing another out-of-issue DVD he lent to the same family member.

Same with some books.  Had to laugh, once I saw one of my books on my sister-in-law's shelf and commented.  Was told "No, that's mine.  I've had it for years."  "So why has it got my name in it???"  "OH!  Then it must be yours.  I thought it was mine."

I rest my case.  "Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend."  (Polonius in "Hamlet")

I was thinking of that phrase during this thread but couldn't remember where it came from, so I couldn't quote it.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Your husband sounds like mine. My husband will get skrewed over by somebody and keep going back for more.   Whereas he is way too trusting, I'm the polar opposite - I pretty much don't trust at all.  But - hey, he keeps getting burned and I don't, so that has to say something.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I've had so many painful lessons, I've learned not to loan again.

My daughter can have anything of mine, and sometimes I foist a good piece of jewelry on her I know would be perfect for an event.  She takes good care of everything.

Friends I love?  Not anymore.  One of our closest friends asked to borrow a new grill of ours for their family outing.  I said sure, months later I asked for it back.  I got it, all right.  Burned, rusted and filthy... ruined.  No offer to replace it.

Even more painful... my MIL said she wanted to exercise, could she borrow a bicycle I'd had since childhood.  A classic Schwinn.  I really didn't want to, I didn't like her at all, but I didn't want to cause family trouble.  I gave in and I asked her to be careful, it meant a lot to me. 

A year later I asked for it back and she said, "That old thing?  I gave it to Goodwill a long time ago."   I was heartbroken.