Esteemed Contributor

Do you loan your stuff to friends & family?

I just got back a Christmas cookie cookbook that I loaned to a family member that has spill marks on several of the pages and my mini muffin tins back from a friend that had rust spots on the bottoms........

I am not going to say anything to them unless they want to borrow something else and wonder why I say NO....

My daughter said she used to loan out DVD's to her friends and never saw them again....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you loan your stuff to friends & family?

@Nataliesgramma One friend I will loan things to, but my family and other friends, NO WAY, I never see anything returned.

Honored Contributor

Sure I do.  Never had any problems loaning items to my friends or family.  

Honored Contributor

I've never had a problem loaning stuff to my brothers and SILs.   

My husband will loan to his sister, but nothing to either of his brothers.    

Honored Contributor

It really depends upon the person who is asking to borrow something. Once, years ago, a dear friend needed to borrow a coat because it either cold or raining out. After a decent period of time and no return, I asked her for it.

You'd have thought I was a criminal for doing so. She made me feel as if our possessions are communal or something. I mean, come on...I know I'm a liberal and all, but still. :-) It was very uncomfortable and awkward.

But I would always lend anything to my daughter and family...no question about that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

No way. 

Esteemed Contributor

Not anymore.

Biggest family fight broke out when 1 of my sisters asked me to bring back a countertop appliance from another sister's. I trusted that one had borrowed the item like she said and the other said no, she bought it and it was hers.

Once, a former friend asked me for a family recipe that was hand written in 1939. I trusted her with it. When I asked her to return it, she said "oh, that old thing? I threw it out".

Honored Contributor

Once in a while I'll loan a book.  But I might as well have given it away, because it's rarely returned.  But, other than books, I don't loan anything.

Respected Contributor

I don't think I have any stuff that anyone would want. :-|

Honored Contributor

Nataliesgramma wrote:

I just got back a Christmas cookie cookbook that I loaned to a family member that has spill marks on several of the pages and my mini muffin tins back from a friend that had rust spots on the bottoms........

I am not going to say anything to them unless they want to borrow something else and wonder why I say NO....

My daughter said she used to loan out DVD's to her friends and never saw them again....

Oh, how awful!  How can people return stuff in poor condition and not - well, just how can they!    I'm embarrassed for them and angry for you.

As to loaning for me - pretty much not anymore.   I think the last thing I loaned to somebody was a set of DVDs for a tv show.  There was a set for each season.  When I got them back (glad I did, as I had others loaned to her that I never got back), they had just thrown all the DVDs into the hard cases helter skelter - just all shaking around together, instead of each one being pressed onto the round thing that protects them.  I can't imagine doing something like that!  It's just careless and disrespectful.

I've loaned numerous things that I either never did get back or ended up having to harass the person numerous times to get back.    Or, you get something back that was in perfect condition and now it's either broken, abused, or just a mess in one way or another.

I guess I'm the oddity because I take care of my things and if I were to borrow something (which I actually don't, anyway), it would come back in a timely fashion and in perfect condition.   I would be profoundly embarrassed to do otherwise.