Occasional Contributor

Re: Do you live near a church or go to one that has chimes?

There is a Church nearby within walking distance and it has chimes but they sound like a recording not actually bells. Either way I love hearing Church bells and chimes. Brings a sense of calm over me.

Respected Contributor

We live on a hill above The Mission in our town. The Mission bells ring. We love it!---There are always newbies in town that complain. 

Respected Contributor

Until recently I did.

I loved hearing the chimes.

It was a peaceful sound amongst all of the noise.

Where I live now is very quiet.

They need some church chimes! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The chiming of the Church bells used to be a service for (most) people who couldn't afford watches. The bells would signal the hours.

NOW, people who blast music electronically and have lost most of their hearing complain about the "intrusion" of Church bells as noise pollution.

Go figure........

Regular Contributor

@violann wrote

The chiming of the Church bells used to be a service for (most) people who couldn't afford watches. The bells would signal the hours.

NOW, people who blast music electronically and have lost most of their hearing complain about the "intrusion" of Church bells as noise pollution.

Go figure........

Their priorities are mixed up or non-existent.

Honored Contributor

When I was in college I lived in a house next door to a church with chimes, I could also hear the bell tower from across the quad.

So pretty, but eventually I just didn't notice as much.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We have a church nearby that had beautiful chimes. And then 15 or so years ago - people complained. So now all you hear is noise from traffic. 

Honored Contributor

I live nearby a big church that has chimes and music, they play every half hour and hour. I love to hear them.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

We live within 1/2 mile of a big Catholic church/school and hear the chimes intermittently during the day.  Love them!!!

Honored Contributor

Many things about this small town where we camp reminds me of growing up in the 50's, and the hourly church bells are one of those things. When my friend visits me here she always gets misty eyed when she hears them because when she was a young Mom to one and pregnant with another they lived in an apartment where there were churchbells every hour. She says it really takes her back.