Honored Contributor

Do you live near a church or go to one that has chimes?

I always thought this was kind of cool. My church didn't have that, but by some of them you can hear the organ music outside and it does chimes too.. I just think it's something nice to hear.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you live near a church or go to one that has chimes?

When we are at our summer camp we are very close to a church that rings it's bells every hour so at 2o'clock it rings twice - at 3 o'clock it rings 3 times etc etc. 

My church does not have chimes but we do have a lady who plays the harp instead of an organist - just beautiful.

Honored Contributor

On Sundays the church near me is full of singing people.Woman Happy

Regular Contributor

In the past, I have lived close enough to churches that had bells or chimes. It always brought me such a feeling of peace. At Christmas, one of the church's chimes played Christmas hymns .. beautiful.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I can hear chimes from a church that's nearby.

When the windows are closed, it's hard to hear them though. 

Honored Contributor

There is a church less than half a mile from me,but no bells, i do love that sound, i wish they did have bells,it is such a peaceful sound.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Yes we do. Not a pleasant sound though. Sounds like a gong on the hour and half hour.

Trusted Contributor

The church I grew up in had bells.  It was built in the early 1800s, a time when their stone structures were large and majestic.   It was open to all who wished to enter.  Mon thru Fri it was unlocked 8 to 5 and most evenings for church programs.  It is now protected as historical building as are several other old churches in town.  The inside has been "modernized" and it is locked except for spots and Sundry worship.  They decided to take out the pews, level out the floor and turn all of the seats facing towards the opposite direction.   Originally you faced forward toward the 2 pulpits, choir on both sides, baptismal and organ.    Their was a series of several steps that went up to that area.  No matter where I sat in church I was able to see forward over the head in front of me.  The front of the church bldg with doors on each side were behind us.  This allowed late comers to come in and get seated without distracting the whole congregation.   I remember as a child the many special times that we were taken to the steps to sit and hear and/or participate in part of the service.   Not that the hugh floor has been made level with all of the sterile changes it does not seem as welcoming.  When I am in that town it is hard to visit it.   I know some will say the church is just a building.  I grew up in a church that was God's house and all were welcomed with open arms.  Appointments if wanted but not necessary.  God was ready to visit with all at any time.  I can not tell you the times after school when I would see individuals in the sanctuary having private time with God.  My last visit there I could not do that.  Times have changed.  They say the chimes still do ring occasionally.

Esteemed Contributor

I live close to 2 churches and they both have chimes...so soothing to hear when I am out in the garden..

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I live close to 2 churches and they both have chimes...so soothing to hear when I am out in the garden..

@Nataliesgramma,

how wonderful for you!!! I would love that.