Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you live in or know of a great city? If so why is it great.

@chiclet

I'll trade you 1 week in my urban condo in Minneapolis for 1 week in your home in St. Augustine! (Hope it is oceanfront or near a beach!) 😁😁😁

In all seriousness Minneapolis has much to offer.  We get a bad rap by people who think we are nothing more than a backward city in the middle of a cornfield. That is far from the truth. We have many lakes within the city limits (over 11,000 lakes statewide) and a wonderful park system.  We are proud of our culture and arts being home to the world-renowned (Tyrone) Guthrie Theatre. In fact, I believe Minneapolis ranks 2nd in theatre seats per capita with NYC of course ranking #1.

Are you a health buff?  If so, you would fit right in.  We rank exceptionally high against other cities in healthy lifestyles.  For all the complaints on this board about women wearing leggings/spandex in public, you will see it here. That is because women are going to/from Barre, Yoga or Pilates classes or may have just taken a stroll or run around the lakes.

I'm not going to lie, our winters can be brutal, but it goes with the territory. Summers can be hot and humid, but not always.  I don't think I have complained once this summer about oppressive heat. 

An added bonus is we are right across the Mississippi River from St. Paul. For those of us who grew up loyal Minneapolitans, St. Paul has a different vibe and we love crossing the river to explore that city.  

There is an inside joke that we dwellers here shouldn't tell others how great our city is for fear that they might want to infiltrate it.  

Note: I have never been to Seattle, so I was surprised to read some of these comments.  I find it sad people cannot enjoy a metro area because of its decay, especially when so many cities are experiencing wonderful revitalization.  

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I live in a small town...love it...I sleep with my windows open and don't lock my doors

Ditto - isn't it great? No cities for me!

Anyone who lives in Colorado:  you are so lucky!

Honored Contributor

@chiclet my fave city - Chicago!  Best place to go to university and build a career.  Easy access to public transit and restaurants, museums, etc.  

Now I call San Clemente, Ca home x 11 years.  The best small beach town and my son has flourished here.  4 miles from the ocean....easy living. Nice people.  Great surf!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

New York City. It is living 24/7, it is a city that never stops.

Maybe if you are not a native of the city you would not prefer the pace but as a visitor you would probably be amazed by it.

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

What about the Southwest?  I live in the Phoenix area and, yes, it's hot in the summer but with little humidity.  We have about a month of monsoon weather but overall the weather is quite mild.  There are mountains,  hiking trails, restaurants, theatre, and ballet.  If you want skiing, travel North about 2 hours.  There's the Grand Canyon, red rocks of Sedona and lakes.  There are many smaller cities in the area too.  Google it and you will see.  

I would recommend that you visit any place you are considering.  I lived in the Midwest for 25 years, hating the snow and humidity of summer.   I spent a week of vacation visiting friends in Phoenix and I've been here ever since (35 years).  

After 7 years of being "snowbirds" in Pinal County, we are making the permanent move from Chicago.  There is a definite life style change but  being we are retired with time on our hands, we've adjusted.   We settled in Pinal County because my only brother has lived there for years.  He warned us that there were many things that Chicago offered that we would not  be able to obtain in our Az. area and boy was he right!  However, little by little, growth is coming and you get buy.  We are in a 55+ community and we love it.  Our real estate taxes are so much lower in Az.

We have not yet spent the summer there but we are 2+ hours from the White Mountains and we are considering renting a place for a few months in the summer.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I use to think Seattle was great, but not any more.....terrible scandalous Mayor.....homeless are taking over the city as are the drug addicts and they keep adopting new laws to protect them..... tax tax tax those who live here legit  to fund everything related to allowing  drug addicts to shoot up, and the homeless to live wherever they want in the city running into nice neighborhoods and causing crimes and shootings.  

With all all of this AND housing prices that are a joke, do not move to Seattle!

We live in a Del Webb 55+ community in the S.E. Valley in Az.  I cannot tell you how many former Washingtonians live in our community!  From Seattle to Tacoma and cities in between.  However, they sold their homes for a substantial profit.  They have lived there for 7-9 years so, I don't know how your prices are now. Interesting.

Honored Contributor

DH & I love St. Augustine, of course we don't live there!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I use to think Seattle was great, but not any more.....terrible scandalous Mayor.....homeless are taking over the city as are the drug addicts and they keep adopting new laws to protect them..... tax tax tax those who live here legit  to fund everything related to allowing  drug addicts to shoot up, and the homeless to live wherever they want in the city running into nice neighborhoods and causing crimes and shootings.  

With all all of this AND housing prices that are a joke, do not move to Seattle!

We live in a Del Webb 55+ community in the S.E. Valley in Az.  I cannot tell you how many former Washingtonians live in our community!  From Seattle to Tacoma and cities in between.  However, they sold their homes for a substantial profit.  They have lived there for 7-9 years so, I don't know how your prices are now. Interesting.

Seattle has turned into a crime ridden, drug infested, tax hungry cesspool of a city.  Such a shame, it used to be beautiful.  Politics destroyed it.  I called Seattle home for 20 years, I know of what I speak.  I live in the PNW but we are thinking strongly of retiring out of state.  Again, politics (Seattle's cancer) and taxes have ruined it.

Respected Contributor

St. Augustine actually gets a bit of "winter".  it's really not that pleasant for the coldest months. i have  to wear fleece pjs when i stay there at  my sister's home.  it has cold tile floors throughout and heat is electric.  so to keep heating costs down she keeps the thermostat on 63.  

the city is lovely and historic though and the beaches are nice . lots to do and a quick drive south to nice shopping centers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet

Well!! I have lived in our city all of my 78 years, so??? Is it great? That is a very relative and subjective question for sure. I like where we live and have seen no place I would prefer living. I won't be leaving here until I am leaving permanently. Fina'

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)